In the future; it's not that bright

Y/n POV

Steven, Garnet, Pearl, Me, and Amythest were laying on a hill, finally just relaxing. We hadn't gotten a chance to since the diamonds. Steven sighed, letting out air that he probably didn't know he was holding. Honestly, Steven is one of the five diamonds. Green diamond was shattered at 'birth' but the other four survived at least. I kinda felt left out. I found the crystal gems by walking around beach city, and I know he has a gem like me, but I would never show him. I'm glad I'm still allowed on some missions though.

I feel afraid to tell him. He broke bones to protect me, and I wouldn't want to be the one to break it to him, that I didn't need to be protected. So, I pushed my gem thoughts go in the back of my mind. I don't want to have to deal with them right now.

Steven was humming a song, 'Here we are in the future'. He had made it himself, probably three minutes ago, before he even started singing. He was good with music, I was good with art. I would constantly be drawing Steven, or the gems. They were my muse, if they like it or not.

I could feel my soul tuning with the earth, calming waves of reassurance appeared. The earth, and the cluster, were always kind to me; I still don't understand why to this day. I pushed my doubting thoughts down, and I relaxed, feeling four other lifeforms next to me. 

Great, they weren't dead yet. This calmed me down a bit more, and I let out a relaxing sigh, like Steven had.

Garnet stiffened. I guess I spoke too soon.
An Injector came down and planted in the ground; only a few yards away from us.

"What the heck!" I yell, "Watch where you place your-" I trailed off, this thing was MASSIVE. It had pink liquid that made my uneasy, and it was sinking into the ground, killing any sort of life. The whole group sat up. A gem, came and yelled from up top, challenging the crystal gems. She left me alone thankfully, even though I was hanging out with them. She only wanted Steven.

The crystal gems summoned their weapons. I just sat there. I couldn't do anything if it meant breaking my cover. I pulled out a pocketknife I had, for defense purposes only. Steven glanced at me, and I glared back at him. He turned back hurriedly, as trying not to be caught worrying about some 'human' who couldn't fend for herself.

It was true, at times I could get a bit reckless, but that didn't mean that I couldn't fight for myself. Before I met Steven, I was a gem expert, I could identify anything but my own. It was cool, but people started asking me what kind of rock they found, so I just pretended I forgot what half of the gems looked like, it works anyway. I don't look into gems anymore, but I remembered all the ones I looked at.

The gem was a Spinel, a magma stone? Not quite sure, it was a rare one; but still mentioned in most crystal books I had read about. My hands started to sweat; was it getting a little hot in here?

Spinel got off the top of the injector and defeated three crystal gems in under two minutes. The only survivor being Steven. I watched on the sidelines, hoping he would put up a shield; or fight back. It didn't happen. Instead, he went dead silent and dropped to the floor. Eyes fading from any trace of life; and definitely still open.

Death didn't scare me, but I trembled. Was this punishment? At this point, there was nobody around and at this point, I didn't care if anyone saw. I tore off my sweaty gloves, closed my pocketknife and put it in my pocket, and summoned my weapon, a shovel.

Now don't get me wrong, it sounds weak. I knew I had a connection to plants and earth life; and a shovel-hybrid spear wasn't the worse weapon I could have gotten. I was growling, and so was the Pink Steven that hovered over his dead body and glared at Spinel with merciless eyes.

"He's Gone."

She was too distracted repeatedly apologizing to notice me sneaking up on her and poofing her. My h/c hair was tangled and messy, and there were tears sprouting from my eyes. Pink steven watched me, face not changing but I could see that he had relaxed some.