Forty-Six: Images of My Life's Disaster

The Image World, October 11, 2040, 8:00 AM.

Adrenaline.

Excitement.

Happiness.

Relief.

Those are the uppermost emotions swimming around my body as I watch each family make their way into the open field we designated an appropriate place to perform our plan.

With Flynn's reassurance that there were zero working surveillance cameras, we began the operation. As scheduled, we knocked on everyone's doors in an orderly fashion no later than 5 AM. A solid hour had passed by the time we got to each home. Using the following two hours after that, Flynn occupied himself with technical work. Opening and closing cameras when necessary to not raise suspicion. Turning off all surveillance cameras won't sit well with the Maryanland operators. So Flynn held the initiative to fool all who needed the mislead.

I became an event coordinator, helping everyone with their belongings and situating them in their designated area. I spent all night with Flynn- well, the hours we had the blessing of having, at least. Each minute contained understanding word exchanges between us, giving assigned locations to each family. That way, the morning hours would go without a second wasted. And I'm glad we did because the families fell on both expected and unexpected spectrums. Some brought a plethora of belongings, while some only brought themselves. And I understand the logic of both extremes.

I grab the notepad and pen in the pocket of my loosely fitted linen pants to perform a headcount. Well, a headcount involving me taking a slip of paper from one member of each household. And making sure that the number and last names of the residents matched with the ones I took when we delivered the news.

My chest heaves in relief when I notice Flynn making his way to me. Thank God, I needed him here.

I hand him the second half of the names and numbers, "can you do this half so we get this done quicker?"

He nods, wiping his hands on his cargo pants before grabbing the notepad and pen from my hand. Once I make sure he's occupied with that, I get back to work.

Yeah, I'm nervous as fuck, but I won't let it get to me and ruin the harmonious order I've followed all morning.

To everyone's surprise, a gorgeous sunny weather day is upon us. Its sparkle shines on the snow, making it look almost like white glitter- stunning. Not to mention, we needed the pleasant warmth on the skin not covered by clothing.

Gentle voices engaged in congratulatory conversations around me, making me smile. My heart clenched hearing people breaking down, but I knew their sad tears would diminish soon.

Some thanked me as I walked past them, and I nodded in response.

Some looked at me in awe, and I blushed crimson.

Some hugged me, and I hugged back.

"I'm all clear here, Azail," Flynn spoke the golden words.

Smiling at him, "great, give me a moment to finish with one last family." Returning the smile, Flynn goes to his family. I don't let the sight of him embracing khalto with one arm and carrying Malak with the other distract me for too long.

I'll have all day to see it.

No, all the time in the world.

After performing a successful headcount, I head to the front of the open area. Giving the Maryanland replica one last look, I pull out the button that Noir gave us.

This will make it or break it.

I decide not to prolong this for much longer with a sappy freedom speech, as everyone here is on edge and only has one motive. Also, I don't feel like pulling emotions out of my pocket. Stress and emotions harmonize with each other as smoothly as oil and vinegar. Giving Flynn one last look, he matches his gaze with mine. Taking his wink and smile as a sign to proceed, I do just that.