Fifty-Four: Images of Inexplicable Pain

Maryanland, October 26, 2040, 12:47 PM.

A firm hand gripped my forearm, and it fucking hurt. No one tells you that throwing two jabs at someone's jaw will make your arm ache. The little mister here isn't helping my situation. My actions fueled the hate Noir had for me. But that doesn't matter anymore- I won big time.

"You ruined everything," he shouted.

I was too busy watching the countdown on the screen. Assuming it's the one the people outside are relying on to know when the passed-out ladies will press.

5

4

3

2

1

And? Nothing.

All became still, frozen with no movement. As if life didn't exist in this setting.

I gravitate my attention to the officials, soldiers, and presidents alike. All of which had expressions revolving around two big spectrums. Some were everything embodying shock, while the rest emitted fire with anger. Furrowed eyebrows and fuming eyes told me everything. The screens didn't allow sound to transfer, but if they did, I don't know what to press to grant me access to hearing them. But one can imagine the colorful vocabulary of the people outside. They're probably spewing every curse in the book at whoever's in here. Little do they know I'm doing the same to them.

"Yeah, that was the whole point, dumbass," I spat back at Noir. He's too busy calming his dropped adrenaline levels to pay me any attention. I hear him muttering reassurances to himself like they would bring his deary back. But anger clenched his fists, giving me a warning.

Even as a child, his anger started quietly, then got violent. So let me not stay here long enough to experience his violent outburst because I know damn well he'll take it out on me.

The mini time machine in my pocket can take me back to present Maryanland. But only after I stay to watch their reactions for a few. I didn't do all of this for me not to see after the fact.

You play stupid games; you win stupid prizes.

Dare I say I played a smart game and won a deserved prize?

While ignoring Noir, I shifted my gaze to the 'prisoners,' and to say they looked confused would be an understatement.

Children look up at their parents, asking questions I can't hear, but can imagine. Grown-ups were shedding tears because even they didn't expect this outcome. And couples holding hands tighter than before.

Flynn's eyes widened.

Ignoring the severity of the situation, I smiled, looking at him. This is what I wanted, for him to be shocked. I don't know what will happen after this, but at least they won't go somewhere they don't want to.

The hard part is over.

I did this for you, mainly for you. I care about nothing else other than seeing you content with those you cherish.

No one can fabricate a future with a useless past. That may not apply to all, but it at least applies to the officials, soldiers, and presidents here.

I have done what I came here to do as a new woman. I did what I could, and what I can't control or perfect is not my fault. There's only so much that one human can handle. I know I did my best, and that's all the reassurance I need to proceed. I'll be here, wherever that may be, to help Flynn in any world possible. What's left to do is hope we can find each other in better conditions someday.

Okay, that's enough people watching- I need to leave.

I need to get out of here; the women are waking up. Oh, and Noir might have started his angry phase. I can hear him pulling something out of his pocket.