Twelve: Images of An Eventful Morning

Maryanland, September 7, 2040, 8:00 AM

When I wished for my monotonous life to take a turn, I didn't mean it in the sense of doubling the weight on my shoulders in a matter of two damn days. Let me see, which decision will I regret for the rest of my life? Oh, maybe the one that convinced me to buy a dusty projector for the aesthetic.

My past self made many regrettable choices, but this one takes the cake. Well, it's too late to swim in a pity pool, not when Flynn's smile makes me proud of myself for putting it there. It could be the lack of my morning inhalers, but Flynn is working his way into becoming a friend bit by bit. The shocking part is that I'm letting him do that without a complaint. It's because he's pretty. As much excitement as this idea piles onto me, I don't think my friends agree with me. They've been glaring at the poor guy the whole time we've been at this bakery. Let's steer them off him so he can eat his pastry in peace.

Bakery and pastry, say that ten times in a row.

"Um, will you accompany us while we grocery shop?" My question targets Sapphire, Lyaly will say yes to an outing in a heartbeat.

Sapphire replies while still staring at Flynn, "Is he coming with you?"

No shit babes, I'm trying to load up his fridge. That sounds like a dirty joke, but I can't pinpoint in what way.

Sighing, all I do is nod. But before they can come up with a witty response, I beat them to it. "I'm doing it to give him a taste of Maryanland, plus he can't stay for long today. Assuming I'm his sole company at the moment, he'll have to go back to his family while I'm at work." Looking at Flynn to see if what I said doesn't sound like made up lies, he nods in confirmation.

"Yes, I can't stay for long, I have a job and a family back there after all. Agreeing to today's visit helped me ease my nerves about coming back here for the first time in over a decade. I'll be forever thankful for Azail's consideration." The more he spoke, the brighter the gleam appeared in his eyes. Patting my back and blessing us with a smile, he continues. "What I said sounds unbelievable, I admit, but you can ask Azail what she saw. I know she won't hold back her honesty." Getting a soft look from Lyaly, but a challenging one from Sapphire, proves to me they are already off to an unsteady trajectory.

Lyly listened with eyes and ears wide open to the repetition of every word I heard Flynn tell me in the comfort of their home's kitchen. The most I heard from her were ohs and ahs. She looked adorable, sitting there listening to him with her head resting on her hands. Despite being a stranger, she looked comfortable in Flynn's presence. She's not the type of person who warms up to people quickly, maybe converse with them a lot, but never lets them in. So seeing her welcoming him in, at least for this moment, made me further appreciate her warm heart.

Sapphire interrupted him every time his words became difficult to grasp. So pretty much every other sentence. Their interruptions varied from asking questions about a concept they didn't comprehend to shouting a loud 'what' while furrowing their eyebrows in suspicion. My favorite part, however, came the moment Lyly swung her arms around them in a caging hug to prevent them from attacking Flynn when he brought up him asking me to help him.

Flynn sounds quite the genius with his words, although I wouldn't say genius enough to put out the fire in Sapphire (haha), he comes close. This brings us to this moment, never thought I would defend a man against my friend, so they allow him to accompany me shopping.

"My visits here won't last long, call it practice for when we all come back home for good. All after the help of this gem, of course." He boasts, displaying a bright smile.

"Well, I have no doubts that my friend will be nothing short of helpful. But, I may be a Vega, and I may be fair to all, take this as a warning. If I hear or see that you've hurt Aza in any manner, expect a knife plunged into your chest moments after. You're lucky we didn't assume you caused her bandaged eyes." Lyaly warns, with the softest expression on her face. Shit, that's terrifying.