Thirty-Four: Images of Giving A Gift

The Image World, September 24, 2040, 5:47 PM

"Don't get all boastful, son. I agree with the second part, but let me argue about the first. Just because you met her before we did doesn't mean you're closer to her, right Azail?" khalto dares me to defy her word. She didn't do that. I don't see any threatening hints in her smile. It's the tone of her words that makes me nod.

Flynn narrows his eyes, "that wasn't how I meant it."

He's brave, I'll give him that.

To have the courage to say this shit in front of your Arab parents takes bravery never seen before, with the addition of having no shame and the energy to provide thorough explanations.

Yet, his bravery won't get him out of the absolute carnage I'm about to put him through.

Either he's an overexcited overthinker or confident in his future. Part of me thinks it is a mixture of both. Damn, he must like me, like for real.

Are you doubting him?

Doubt isn't the word I would use, but since I can't think of another synonym to describe my feelings, I'll settle with that.

I don't know, something about someone showing me genuine affection makes me uncomfortable. Uncomfortable in the sense of not knowing how to respond, or worse, not even doing so. Call me untrained and unemployed in this job because of my rookie status. Phew, my parents fucked me up in the long run, didn't they?

Note to self: think about how you treat yourself before you have children and pass down your unhealthy habits to them.

"How did you mean it?" Malak, please tone down the curiosity.

"You'll see," he raises a mischievous eyebrow before winking at me. He's beyond lucky he's not a stranger, or else that wink would send me running for the hills that shelter those running away from creepy people with the disease of winking at any breathing creature.

I raise a quizzical eyebrow at him but narrow them soon after to let him know that the underlying meaning of his words didn't fly past me.

It crawled incredibly slowly beneath my feet.

Can't talk shit when you can't walk a mile without feeling like death.

Stop making me agree with you.

"Well, now that I know my son has a future that is set in stone, let's have a very early dinner, like Americans do!"

Holy shit, not khalto catching onto this too.

"You should come every day, Azail."

"Jokes on you, she only comes here to see me," Flynn says as a reply to Malak.

She glares at him.

Oh, that reminds me.

Maryanland Malak.

I look at Flynn, trying to catch his eye. Even though I already did, haha. He notices my fidgeting self not long after. Malak grew tired of fighting with him for what I think is the millionth time today, so she went to help her mom with setting the table.

Flynn checks over his family for a second to make sure they're settled before walking toward me.

"What is it?" he asks, leaning on the wall.

"Sorry, I made it sound like I had something dramatic to say, but I didn't want to say it in front of Malak. I forgot to tell you this, but I saw khalto and Malak both times during our visit to your Maryanland home. Khalto looked as pretty as she always does. What shocked me was seeing a teenage Malak glaring at me."