Chapter 51

A few months later

Olivia Yamkela Jakkals

I sit and watch my baby as I breastfeed her. She tugs at my breast with her tiny fingers showing the small burn mark on her arm.

I wipe my tears and hold her tightly. My daughter, an innocent little soul endured so much at such a tender age. She was all alone with all those dangerous creatures that tried to take away her powers that she didn't even ask for.
Bless that little girl Emily because had she not been by her side than I don't even want to imagine what would have happened to her.

I just feel drained. Those moments where I couldn't even protect my daughter felt like hell which has encouraged me to start training on how to protect her efficiently. Instead of crying over these abilities, I think it's about time I accepted them and made the most out of it as this is our new reality whichever way we look at it.

Rophi: Mamaaa...

Rophi approaches me crying to which I place my baby on a small mattress in front of me to sleep. I then place Rophi on my lap.

Yammy: What's wrong baby? Talk to mama.

I say but he doesn't respond but instead keeps crying. I hold myself from crying too, he's really breaking my heart.

Rophi: I want Papa.

I swallow a lump stuck in my throat.

Yammy: You miss your father?

He nods while crying on my chest. I continue holding him and rocking him back and forth.

*******************

Funo walks in and Rophi immediately runs into his arms placing his head onto his father's shoulders.

Lufuno: Ah boy boy nisongorira. (My boy, please don't cry.)

He sits down on the couch and lifts Rophi up to look at him.

Lufuno: Don't cry okay? I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. Daddy loves you so much okay?

Rophi nods.

Rophi: Love you too...

He mutters in a soft tone and lays his head back on Funo's chest to which he holds him tight.

Both our eyes stay on Mulalo sleeping on the mattress in front of us. I never want to let her out of my sight and so I watch her every move.

Rophi falls asleep. Funo lays him on the couch and covers him in a blanket.

That's when I realise the tears flowing down my face.

Lufuno: Can I stay over?

Silence.

Lufuno: I promised to be here when he wakes up.

I lift myself off the couch and attempt to walk up the stairs.

Lufuno: Wait please...

He whispers. I find my self against the wall with him right in front of me. I don't dare to look at him but down at the floor.

Lufuno: I'm so sorry baby...

He whispers followed by a drop of a tear that lands on the floor causing me too look up and meet his gaze. He looks so broken.
I can't say I feel bad for him though, even though what he did to me was against his will. I'm still struggling to digest everything.

He lifts his hand and I instinctively flinch as he stops midway from trying to wipe my constant tears off my cheeks then lowers his hand and backs away while watching me and leaves the house.