~young scare~

The warm morning breeze filled Paris as the sun was rising, turning the sky purple and orange. The people of Paris were already making a start to their day, the baker was putting fresh bread into the oven, the blacksmith was cleaning his tools. The early Notre-dame bells were ringing and people started to leave their houses, but the gypsies of Paris were just awakening.

Under the city, in the old catacombs, the gypsies in the court of miracles were just starting their morning. People were coming out of their tents and wagons and greeting each other, young children your age  had already started playing with each other. This was your home, this is where you and your family have been living for years. Away from the authorities that tried to get rid of your people, it wasn't easy being a gypsy.

You were sleeping peacefully in your family's large tent, dreaming about the world outside. Until you felt someone shake you, you opened your eyes and groaned, looking at who was waking you up. It was your older brother, Onas, "y/n wake up, mamas calling us for breakfast" he said as you sat up, rubbing the sleep out of your eyes. "Okay I'm coming" you said groggily as you stood up slowly and stumbled to the water well, you stood in front of it and used your hands to wash your face with the water. You grabbed a cloth and dried your face, after you washed up you made your way to the Mat where you would eat with your family.

You walked to them slowly and saw your family sitting on the mat, your Mother Penella, your older brother Onas (11)  and your younger sister Florica (7).  You sat down next to your younger sister, she was only one year younger than you. You said good morning to them and your mother came over to you with a small plate of food "good morning y/n, did you sleep well?" she said as she kissed the top of your head while she placed the plate in front of you. You smiled as your eyes met her kind ones "good morning mama, I slept good" she nodded and watched as you all ate your food while she ate her small portion. You didn't know your father, all you knew is that he was a French man, he wasn't a gypsy like your mother. And some people hated her for that, since in our case most people of Paris are our enemies, your father never came down to visit, people say it's because he's scared of gypsies, but not your mother, since she was very beautiful.

You were only young so you didn't understand, but you didn't need a father around, you and your siblings were happy as you were. But it wasn't the same for your mother, she always says that she hates your father and how he was selfish because he didn't care about his "family". But it was too late, you heard some men saying that he passed away from pneumonia.

You finished eating your food and your mother took you and your siblings plates. "Go wash your mouth and get dressed, we're going out today y/n" you smiled and nodded as you ran off to the tent. You loved going out to the streets with your mother, you got to play the tambourine as she danced on the side of the street. Your sister stays in the court of miracles to play with her friends and your brother helps the men with building new tents for people.
you started getting changed into your clothes, you normally wore a long turquoise skirt and a light purple shirt, along with some simple gold bangles. You went to find your mother, you saw her waiting outside the tent with her shoulder bag. You walked up to her and she smiled kindly at you "are you ready?" You nodded and took her hand as you started walking with her.

You walked out of the court of miracles and into the sewerage, it was gross but you were used to it. Your mother held your hand as you walked up the stairs and out of the false grave, onto the grass, She checked to see if anyone was looking and luckily no one was. You stood close to her and started walking into the city, some gypsies were already there, the leader of the gypsies was performing a puppet show for the children. They giggled and laughed as he put on the show, as he always does, you kept walking with your mother until she found the place where she normally dances. She took a hat out of her bag and put it on the floor so people could put their coins in it, she put her bag down and a man came with a flute, he sat behind your mother and started playing the tune, you played the tambourine as well. She started to dance, her bell-anklets jingle as she moved to the music, she clapped her hands and spun around as some children watched from a distance as their parents were pulling them away.