Payakan (chapter thirteen)

notes: if you're wondering, yes some of the events in this story are out of order, but that's for the purposes of this storyline rather than the storyline of the movie :) also tysm for 5k im so grateful for all the support <333

You're walking back to your marui pod in the darkness, strolling slowly, enjoying the quiet sounds of the ocean and bugs in the mangroves. You spent the day with Kiri, after her family was done fussing over her (which she complained about constantly before running off with you). You remember with a smile how earlier today you showed her and Tuk the butterfly fish that allow for breathing underwater, and how Kiri danced with the hundreds of tiny golden fish, them following her every movement. And you remember how you and Tsireya snuck away from them while they were both still entranced by the movements of the golden fish, her kissing you gently as the butterfly fish on your back glowed brighter than ever. 

You grin, balancing carefully as you walk down the net path by the hut where you know your father is already sleeping. These days, your father worries less about you, letting you range free, allowing you to stay out late, as long as you're there in the morning. Your smile turns bittersweet as you think about how close you used to be as a child, him constantly overprotective of you. He knows I'm growing up, you think sadly. You resolve to spend more time with him, as you've been distracted with everything that's happened. With Tsireya. Suddenly, you hear the murmurs of voices around the corner, and pause, peeking out from behind the hut you're behind. You see Kiri and Jake sitting with their legs in the water, golden fish pooling around Kiri's feet. 

Shit, you think. You shouldn't listen in, but you can't help yourself. You stand silently as Jake says, 'what's wrong, babygirl?' 'It's nothing,' Kiri mutters, swishing her feet back and forth in the water. 'It's not nothing,' Jake says with authority. 'Are you missing Spider? Is that it?' You don't know who Spider is, but you see Kiri nod. 'Yes,' she whispers. 'Oh, babygirl,' Jake soothes, but then Kiri says, 'but that's not it.' Jake quietens as Kiri says, 'I feel her, dad. She's right there, and i don't know what she wants from me,' and you realise she's crying quietly. 'Feel who?' Jake whispers. Kiri looks up at him with tears in her eyes. 'Eywa. I feel her heartbeat, and her breathing. She's just... there.' You see the worry in Jake's eyes as he wraps his arms around Kiri, holding her close in a fatherly embrace. 'It's okay, babygirl,' he murmurs. 'It's okay.'

* * *

You're sitting by the fire with Tsireya and her family, the flames flickering gently. The firelight is reflecting off Tsireya's face, casting dancing shadows on it. You watch her, how she's engrossed by the flames. Unexpectedly, you look up to see Neteyam and Aonung walking towards you. You frown, confused. Neteyam has a look of fury on his face, and he's walking fast, intently, his hand wrapped around Aonung's neck. He's getting led along by Neteyam like a dog, and the fact that he's not fighting it makes you think something's wrong. 'Tell them what you told me,' Neteyam hisses to everyone sitting around the fire, ignoring everyone's shocked expressions. When Aonung remains silent he shoves him again. 'Tell them.' Aonung sighs. 'We... took Lo'ak out to the reef. And we thought it would be funny to leave him there.' Tonowari looks furious, and Ronal grasps his arm, her fingers digging into it sharply as Aonung continues. 'It's been two hours...' he mumbles. 

You look at Tsireya, aghast. Her expression is matching yours. You can tell what she's thinking: My brother is stupid, but he can't be this fucking stupid. 'Lo'ak could die, Aonung,' you say, raising your voice in rage. 'You could've fucking killed him.' 'Enough!' Tonowari roars, and you're silent. But Tonowari continues. 'Y/n is right, Aonung. How could you do this? Y/n, Tsireya, go tell everyone to start searching for Lo'ak, now. Ronal and I will deal with this...' he trails off disgustedly, not even knowing what to call Aonung. You nod, and run off with Tsireya. As you leave, you look over your shoulder to see Tonowari grab Aonung off of Neteyam, yanking his head back. 'I regret having you,' he mutters to Aonung, and he hangs his head. Good, you think, catching back up to Tsireya. He fucking deserves it. 

* * *

You're telling everyone in the village to search for Lo'ak, and there's a huge commotion as everyone rushes to the water to search. You're about to hop on your ilu when you see a dark figure swimming through the water, without an ilu or a skimwing. Lo'ak. 'Lo'ak!' you yell out, and he waves. Thank Eywa, you think, visibly relaxing as you hop on your ilu to help him in to shore in case he's injured. He's not, at least not badly, but he accepts your help gratefully. 'You're not dead. I knew you wouldn't die, but Lo'ak, I was worried, we all were...' you babble, and he grins at you. 'What, you really missed me that much?' 'Shut up,' you say, embarrassed, but pull him in for a hug. 'Thank Eywa,' you murmur, as Tsireya spots you, her face softening. 'He's safe,' she yells out. 'He's safe.'

* * *

'Eywa has blessed you,' Kiri says in wonder as Lo'ak tells you all about what happened outside the reef. 'A tulkun? They've not arrived yet, and they're never alone,' Aonung says skeptically. You glare at him, and Tsireya does too. You both believe Lo'ak, even if no one else does. 'It was definitely a tulkun,' Lo'ak confirms. 'He had a missing fin on his left side.' You exchange a worried glance with Tsireya, and Aonung murmurs, 'Payakan.' 'It's Payakan,' you say, your stomach dropping. 'Who's Payakan?' asks Neteyam, sensing the sudden change in mood. 'He is an outcast. They say he is a murderer,' Tsireya says anxiously. You grab her hand, and Aonung looks at you strangely. You blush, and drop Tsireya's hand. You forgot about him and Roxto. 'He's not a murderer,' Lo'ak says angrily. 'He saved me.' Neteyam laughs. 'My little bro, the mighty warrior, who faced the killer tulkun and lived to tell the tale,' he jokes. Lo'ak stands up furiously, and Neteyam goes to get up as well, but Lo'ak stops him with a sharp look. 'You're not listening,' he says grumpily, and walks off. 'I'm listening, Lo'ak,' Tuk says, her voice wavering. But he's already gone. You sigh. You have a bad feeling about this.