Discovery (chapter six)

After training, you go to find Lo'ak, without Tsireya (she thought it would be uncomfortable if she was there - although you really wish she was). You find him sitting alone by his house, legs dangling in the water, looking depressed. Whoops, you think guiltily. 'Hey, Lo'ak,' you say slowly. He sighs. 'Y/n, just go away.' 'Whoa, calm down. I was coming to apologise,' you say, surprised at his quick anger. 'Yeah, whatever,' he says, but he doesn't tell you to go away again, so you sit down next to him. You swing your legs, splashing them in the water a little, and turn to face Lo'ak. 'Look, I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to embarrass you,' you say, genuinely meaning it. 'Thanks,' he mutters. 

Before you can think of what to say next, he turns to you and asks, 'was it really that obvious?' You nod. 'Sorry. And your brother and sister and Roxto could tell as well,' you blurt out. 'They were looking at each other laughing, and Kiri rolled her eyes.' 'Damn,' he murmurs, hanging his head even lower. 'So, do you think I've got a chance with Tsireya?' You sigh, wondering how to break the news. 'Well, I was also kinda coming to talk to you about that. Um, me and Tsireya are kind of - a thing,' you say slowly. 'Bro, what?' he says, clearly shocked. He must've been too focused on watching Tsireya to notice our chemistry, unlike Neteyam, you think. 

'Uh, yeah,' you say awkwardly. 'So that's why you fully pulled her off of me,' he says, understanding dawning in his eyes. 'Yeah,' you say uncomfortably. 'Well, you could've been less of an asshole about it,' he mutters to himself. This motherfucker. 'What was that?' you say sweetly, but he sees through the facade. 'Nothing,' he mumbles, hanging his head. 'And Tsireya couldn't even come to tell me herself that she doesn't like me,' he adds, huffing and straightening up to glare at you. 'Don't talk shit about Tsireya in front of me,' you threaten, standing up to look down at him. Lo'ak stands up too, towering over you, but you glare up at him, unintimidated. You keep eye contact, and he stares back, his mouth tightening. You bare your teeth, hissing at him menacingly. 'Whatever, man,' he says, breaking eye contact and turning away. 'That's what I thought,' you say smugly, and he pauses for a second, but reconsiders and keeps walking away. Jackass.

* * *

'So it went the opposite of well,' Tsireya says, sighing. 'Yup. He was a bitch about it, all right,' you say. 'Y/n!' Tsireya scolds. 'But Reya...' you groan. 'No, I don't want to hear it. He's not a bad person, okay?' Tsireya says gently. 'But you like me more, right?' you say childishly. 'Of course I do, but I don't like this feud between you two. Especially when he has information that could compromise us,' she reminds you, and you straighten up, suddenly serious. 'I forgot about that,' you admit. 'I'll try and talk to him again, I guess.' 'Thank you,' Tsireya whispers, looking into your eyes. You wrap your arm around her shoulders and start to lean in, smiling. Your lips are just inches away when someone walks around the corner of your hut, where you two are standing. 

You jump apart from Tsireya to see... Jake Sully? Random, you think, before you snap back to reality as he looks between you two, shocked. A smirk spreads across his face and he says, 'sorry if I'm interrupting something. Y/n, do you know where I could find your dad?' Oh, right. I forgot that he's friends with my dad, you think. You direct him robotically to the chief's hut, you and Tsireya standing awkwardly a metre away from each other. He nods a thank you, and turns to leave, but turns back for a second. You brace yourself, but all he says is 'good for you guys.' Then he turns and walks away. Not even a few seconds later, when he's just around your hut, you hear him yell, 'Neytiri!' 

You and Tsireya stand frozen for a second. Then, you slowly turn to each other in pure shock, mouths open in disbelief. As it starts to sink in, you start giggling. Then Tsireya joins in. And soon, you're both bent at the stomach, tears pouring from your eyes as you both laugh hysterically (again) at that absolutely priceless interaction.

* * *

Later that night, after eclipse, you sit up in bed quietly. Your dad is snoring loudly, so you're ready to sneak out. You and Tsireya planned to meet up at your spot on the rocks by the cliff earlier, so you're sneaking out to go meet her. You get up, tiptoeing around your dad and out the door. Once you're out, you look out over the calm sea, admiring how the moon's reflection shimmers over its surface, and how the light breeze stirs up small ripples that dance over the light waves. You start walking to the rocks, making your way through the village. As you pass the Sully's house, you see Neteyam in the doorway. 'Neteyam?' you whisper, and he turns to see you. He holds a finger up to his lips, and gestures for you to come down a path leading away from his house. You follow him, and when you're a safe distance from his house, he stops, turning to you. 'Tsireya?' he asks, and you blush. 'Uh, yeah.' I can't believe I'm that predictable. He grins. 'You two are cute together.' 'Thanks,' you say quietly. 

Then you look at him. 'Wait. Roxto?' you ask hopefully. Maybe I can match his prediction. 'Um, actually, Aonung,' he says, rubbing his neck embarrassedly. Oh. My. Eywa. 'What?' you say incredulously. 'Really?' 'Yup,' he says, grinning. 'He's kind of an asshole, so be prepared,' you warn. He laughs. 'Maybe, but I don't know. I think we've got something, y/n.' 'Good for you,' you say, surprised. 'And you and Tsireya?' he asks. 'I really think we've got something too,' you say softly.