We are having a baby! Part II

"Incision, okay! Inserting forceps in the right sub costal."

"Did you always think you'd be a good" father?

"Inserting camera!"

Park raised his eyes toward his colleague, turning his eyes back to the forceps he was inserting over the skin of the patient lying on the operating table.

"No. When it comes to children, there's no predicting what's coming.
What I can say is that I had no idea if I could take on such a big responsibility. "

Park now directed the cables to Shaun's hands.

"When Kellan was born and I held him, all I could think was that I would do everything possible to keep him safe."

"Do you think you succeeded?"

Shaun questioned, guiding the instruments wedged into the abdomen below him.

"There is no right or wrong formula. It's a process, when you become a parent you become responsible for raising a human being, until he or she becomes responsible for you. But until then, you will be their primary guide. "

Shaun processed the information for a second. Then he looked down, concentrating on the surgery.
Park continued.

"It's not an easy task. Sometimes I catch myself thinking about where I went wrong with Kellan, when I could have been more present and when I wasn't as firm as he needed me to be."

"Lea also feels that there are too many responsibilities. She's afraid."

Park again looked up.

"Extracting the gallbladder."

Shaun lifted the yellowish organ a little above his head.
" According this coloration and the weight, the patient had reason to feel a lot of pain."
He said, placing the gallbladder on the tray.

>>>

"You'll be good parents!"

Between the two of them could be heard the sound of water running from the faucet in the empty sanitation room.
Shaun removed his glove, throwing it into the trash can. It took him a second to assimilate what he had heard, eyes wide, showing the clear momentary confusion of naive surprise.

"It's okay, Shaun. I won't tell anyone."

Shaun considered for a few seconds, already relieved to be able to share something that had been choking him for the past few hours. Although it also meant having to fail Lea's request that they not tell anyone about the baby until they decided what to do.

"Lea is pregnant."

Park smiled without showing any surprise.
Shaun continued.

"But she is afraid and thinks that we might not be ready to be parents because of many issues that we need to consider."

"Have you thought about that?"

"Yes, I made a list of advantages and disadvantages of having a baby. As for the financial ones, we'll need to make some savings. But I think we can afford it."

"What about the other issues? Have you considered them?"

"I think I would be a good father. Better than the father I had."

"I'm sure you would, Shaun."

"But I'll respect Lea's decision, let's continue the conversation tonight when we get home."

"I suppose so. Any decision will be the best for both of us, be sure of that."

Shaun looked at his watch.