Maddie

San José

July 2021.

28th week

" I love this one! It's charming and super modern!"
I pointed to the picture of the gray and yellow circular crib.

"Um... Modernity is not relevant when the crib has no safety."
Shaun added, sliding his finger across the screen

"The measurements between the footboard and the sides are more than 4cm, which is risky for when the baby is older. She might dangle her feet, climb up and fall over. Also, we are researching cribs with cost effectiveness in mind. The crib needs to fit the baby until she is two years old. Taking this into consideration, this model you have chosen is circular and small, which makes it uncomfortable."

"Okay, okay. Shaun! We have just begun, let's find the perfect crib for our daughter."

After a long search on the internet, discarding crib models that did not meet the safety requirements for material, latches, foot and mattress height. Finally Shaun found something that filled his eyes with confidence.

"This one has 6.0 cm of space between the slats. This prevents the grid from falling out due to the baby moving around, and even prevents the baby from sticking her head or walking between the slats."

"I wondered if our daughter would be this agitated."

"The bed frame is made of full boards and the gap between the bed frame and the side of the crib is 3cm. This prevents the baby from getting her hands and feet caught in the gap."

"The distance between the base and the floor is 24cm."

"A positive point. This ensures that the baby doesn't get stuck down there when she is crawling around the room."

"Good point, we will need to pay extra attention when she is at this stage."

" It says here that the painting is done with non-toxic paint, which is great. Strong smells are inconvenient and can cause respiratory allergies.

"It also has a flat headboard and feet, and no high ends. It fulfills two more requirements on your list."

'Yeah, it also has metal dowels and the screws are fastened directly into the wood. It doesn't have hole covers, so the baby is not at risk of swallowing them."
Shaun marked another X on the spreadsheet next to his notebook.

"This is the crib that meets all the safety, comfort, and durability requirements we want."

"Good! Because I love it. It will match the lilac tones we chose to paint the baby's room."

"Okay. I'll go ahead and make the purchase. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow."

"Okay. The painter will come the day after tomorrow when we are in birthing class. I've already arranged to leave the keys with the owner, who will also supervise the service for us. He will paint the walls, install the shelves we bought and set up the crib. Since you were careful to choose an odorless paint, I believe that we will be able to have the baby's room ready by the next day."

"I'll take the chores that require effort to keep you from doing."

"All right, Shaunie."

As Shaun stared at his notebook, I looked at him. A man who in all these years had shown as many kind qualities as possible. I couldn't help but fall in love with him and couldn't have a better father for our daughter.
I walked up to him, turned his face to me.

"You've been a great father.
Taking care of me, being attentive, and allowing yourself to try new things. You're getting better every day, doing everything you can to give me and our baby the best. I am so happy with you.
I pulled my face closer to his and kissed him.