Part 2: A brief history of how we got here.

A memory

I don't know how long Shaun and I kissed that morning after everything ended well, but I do know that it lasted long enough for me to remember the touch of his lips.
From the night we said goodbye in the hallway I had a clear memory of the last time I felt them on mine. It was a goodbye kiss. In fact, a difficult goodbye.
Both times it happened the strongest memory was of our first kiss. How could I forget a moment that accompanied me for many years with a secret desire to relive it?

The kiss was not my first intention in taking Shaun on that trip, I just felt it might do him some good to get away from the routine, the pressure of Glassy and work. And to my surprise, he was open to everything I proposed, I think he liked it and I was happy to be of service because I also needed to get away for a while to do something out of the ordinary. And in the end, we had a lot of fun together.
The kissing opportunity came as a consequence and result of the strange excitement caused by an escape involving a bit of irresponsibility added to the electrifying energy of tequila shots.
Shaun was new to this and got a little drunk. But not me, I was sober enough to notice something I was still not sure about him.
A curiosity I had had since I first saw him.
Of course, when I met Shaun I realized that he was an autistic man, but that was not what aroused my attention. When he opened the door I noticed his beauty. A kind of beauty that does not go unnoticed. Tall, bright blue eyes, his hair minimally messy, dressed as if he was ready to go to a business meeting. He manifested a distinct elegance in his words and calmly timed steps. He looked tired. I soon realized that like me, Shaun was lonely, just another young man experiencing the loneliness that living in a big city provides.
After the first one, the two of us had a few encounters in the hallway, one on the random street, and an almost one-on-one hug as only I wrapped my arms around him, and yet resting my head on Shaun's shoulder was delightfully comforting.
Over the course of a few weeks I discovered more things about him, like his acidic sincerity. Many people do not deal well with other extremely sincere people, nor do I most of the time. But I prefer them to be honest with me, even if the truth is hard to hear. And Shaun expressed an almost innocent, unintentional sincerity that ended up being comical.
__Lea, you look absurd in that sweater__he said one night as we stepped out of the elevator.
Not exactly the kind of thing a woman likes to hear from a man. I took a little offense because I was wearing one of my favorite sweaters, but I relieved myself by concluding that he didn't mean it.
To undo the embarrassment I offered him apples and had Shaun in my apartment for the first time.
We talked for a while that evening, and I was impressed to hear him talk so calmly and naturally about the improvised surgery at the airport, as if such a situation were something that happens regularly in everyone's life. I laughed when he told me about his intention to buy a TV to watch the weather forecast.
With these little encounters I realized that besides being an intelligent and talented doctor, Shaun was different from all the men I have ever met. Different in that he was sincere, sensitive, and not indiscreet about matters of my life. A good listener, he asked questions to understand, not out of mere curiosity.
I began to cherish his presence.

During the trip I confirmed what had aroused my curiosity, another interesting aspect that I had observed the times we had bumped into each other in the building. I verified that my neighbor Shaun Murphy was not a womanizer, he did not hit on me or show any signs that he would do so throughout the night, not even with many shots of alcohol afterwards.
I suspected, Shaun was inexperienced. I found this to be so kind and it made him the perfect type of guy to start a flirtation with. Besides all the qualities, he was shy, a cat, good company for travel, tequila shots and Karaoke.
I had enough admiration for that man, I wanted the honor of being the first to share a little of my knowledge in something he didn't know. I wanted to, he wasn't going to take action, it was one more thing I needed to teach him and it wouldn't hurt to help him. A few more days with Shaun on that trip and I would not answer for my actions.
On this occasion, however, I could only have a few kisses from him. Enough to maintain our recent and promising friendship, the drink would help, and the next day he wouldn't even remember. That was all the motivation I could think of to go ahead.
So I had to make up that little story about the strategy for second dates, and it worked.
The kiss was unlike any other. At the time, however, I could only get a few kisses from him. Enough to keep our recent and promising friendship going, the drinking would help, and the next day he wouldn't even remember. That was all the motivation I could think of to go ahead.
So I had to make up that little story about the strategy for second dates, and it worked.
The kiss was difference any I had ever experienced. It was sweet, gentle, and carried a purity that only Shaun's first kiss could have.
You're kind of a good kisser.
__Do you want to do it again?__I remember saying before Shaun ran to the bathroom.
The tequila interrupted the next step in the strategy lesson for a second date. It wouldn't have been bad if it happened, but it would have been a mistake at the time. We were left with the kiss and the memories. Shaun gave me an unforgettable kiss and I knew he would get good at it.
And, as if I was predicting the future I was able to prove it that morning as I touched his lips again.