Cutting Hair

"Morning boys. See you're back already Johnny." Alexis says as she is walking back towards the church seeing the boys outside causing them to immediately look at her.

"Alexis? Is that you?" Johnny asks seeing Alexis's hair is now dark at the top and ashy colored the rest of the way down.

"Yeah." Alexis says.

"What the hell did you do to your hair?" Ponyboy asks.

"I remembered seeing blackberries on our way to the church and I went to get some for food but I remembered my aunt using the juice sometimes as a dye for her crafting projects so..." Alexis says as she then sets down a small bag of blackberries.

"Almost didn't recognize you with your hair like that." Ponyboy says.

"Looks like Johnny had the same idea. You two look pretty good. Though my handy work probably isn't the best." Alexis says as she notices Johnny has his hair cut shorter and Ponyboy has his hair cut as well as bleached.

"I think it looks good on you. Smells good too from the berry juice." Johnny says kindly.

"Thanks Johnny." Alexis says as she smiles kindly.

"Also if you are gonna be away from the church try to keep out of sight. Don't want anyone following us or getting caught." Johnny says.

"I'll be fine Johnnycake. I'm a lot better at keeping out of sight and knowing my way out of trouble than you may think. Or are you just saying that because you still don't like that I insisted on coming with you?" Alexis asks as she raises her eyebrow at Johnny slightly.

"Both really. I just don't want to see you get hurt is all." Johnny says sheepishly.

"I know Johnny. I promise you I'm always careful when I'm alone." Alexis says.

"Well let's get some food. I haven't had the chance to eat yet and I doubt you have." Johnny says as he walks back in with Alexis following him.

*Timeskip*

"Oh aunt Kate. I really miss you. I wonder what you're doing right about now." Alexis says as she is sitting outside under a tree looking at the stars before hearing shouting as Johnny then walks outside.

"Johnny? Is everything okay? I heard shouting in there." Alexis asks as Johnny walks over to her.

"It's okay. Well okay as it's gonna be. Pony is in there trying to sleep next to the fire. I didn't think you'd be out here this long. You feeling okay?" Johnny asks as he sits next to Alexis under the tree.

"Yeah. I just enjoy looking up at the stars. My aunt used to tell me that they represent the spirits of our loved ones who have left us and they're looking out for us from above. I know it's silly but it helps me to calm down when I'm worried." Alexis says.

"You're thinking about your folks aren't you?" Johnny asks as Alexis nods.

"Yeah. Just thinking about the past and what could of been had things been different somehow. also thinking about other things." Alexis says sadly.

"You know you're always able to talk to me right?" Johnny asks as Alexis looks at him.

"I know. I promise I'll tell you more about my family eventually but for now I still got some thoughts I need to sort out." Alexis says.

"It's okay Alexis. I won't push it. Just tell me when you're ready to. W-What are you doing?" Johnny asks as Alexis lays down closely next to him and places her head on his shoulder.

"You're freezing. Also you're comfortable. Just being next to you calms me down. But if I'm too close or something I can move." Alexis says as she begins to move away before Johnny puts his arm around her making her stop and lay back down.

"No. You're alright. Just caught me off guard. You usually don't lay next to so closely." Johnny says.

"That a problem?" Alexis asks.

"I'm not gonna complain. I don't know why but you make me feel safer too when you're next to me. I care about you. You're like family to me and the gang. I'm sorry I got you into this." Johnny says as Alexis looks at him.

"You didn't get me into anything Johnny. I'm the one who insisted on coming along." Alexis says before she gently kisses Johnny on his cheek causing him to freeze at the action.

"What was that for?" Johnny asks as he blushes slightly.

"Just a thank you for protecting me at the DX that day. You're my best friend Johnny. I'd follow you anywhere. I wouldn't leave you for any reason before and I have no intention to leave now. We're in this together. We'll figure something out." Alexis says as she lays her head on Johnny's chest.

"Alexis." Johnny says.

"Hmm?" Alexis asks.

"Thank you. I don't know how I got so lucky in meeting you that day. I'm sure glad to have you in my life." Johnny says.

"Me too Johnny." Alexis says as she snuggles in closer to Johnny before he hesitantly puts his head on hers and falls asleep.