Parting of the Ways

Rose backed up until she hit a pillar. When the screen had shut off, the Daleks had seemed to forget about her, a fact that she wasn't going to complain about.

A Dalek suddenly stopped in front of her. "You know the Doctor," it screeched. "You understand him. You will predict his actions."

Yeah, right. "I don't know!" Rose told it. "And even if I did, I wouldn't tell you."

"Predict!" the Dalek demanded. "Predict! Predict!"

A second Dalek interrupted. "TARDIS detected in flight."

"Launch missiles," the Dalek in front of her said. "Exterminate."

"You can't!" Rose shouted, stepping forward in panic. "The TARDIS hasn't got any defenses. You're going to kill him."

If a Dalek could sound smug, this one did. "You have predicted correctly."
~~~
The Doctor and Emissary worked together to fly the TARDIS into the Dalek ship where Rose was being held hostage.

"We've got incoming!" Jack announced from where he was monitoring the screen.
The Time Lords didn't pause at all. Dalek missiles struck the TARDIS, there was a large explosion and the TARDIS kept going. Jack checked the screens again. "The extrapolator's working," he reported. "We've got a fully functional forcefield." He laughed a bit. "Try saying that when you're drunk."

"And for my next trick," the Doctor said, flipping a switch to land them. The TARDIS materialized around Rose and the Dalek closest to her. "Rose, get down!" the Doctor shouted. "Get down, Rose!"

She dove off to the side as the Dalek caught sight of the Doctor and fired.

"Exterminate!" The Dalek's shot missed and it didn't get a chance to try again. Jack took aim with the defabricator gun and blew the head clean off.

Rose got to her feet a little shakily. "You did it."

"So glad you're okay," the Emissary said as she pulled Rose into a tight hug.

"Feels like I haven't seen you in years," Rose said as she went to hug the Doctor as well.

"I told you I'd come and get you," he said.

Rose grinned. "Never doubted it."

"I did," the Doctor said as he let her go. "You all right?"

"Yeah," Rose nodded. "You?"

"Not bad, been better." He bent to examine the still smoking Dalek as Rose moved behind him to hug Jack. The Emissary crouched down next to him as he scanned it, noting the odd look on his face.

"What is it?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Some weird readings."

He showed her the sonic and she looked up at him in shock. "But that means..." she trailed off. He just nodded grimly.

"Oh, I thought I'd never see you again," Rose was saying to Jack as they came over.

"Oh, you were lucky," Jack said. He hefted the gun up. "That was just a one shot wonder. Drained the gun of all its power supply." He dropped it off to the side. "Now it's just a piece of junk."

They stopped next to the Time Lords, staring at the Dalek.

"You said they were extinct," Rose remembered. "How come they're still alive?"

"One minute they're the greatest threat in the universe," Jack told her, "the next minute they vanished out of time and space."

"They went off to fight in bigger war," the Emissary said hollowly. "The Time War."