Boom Town

A/N: Italics between the Doctor and Emissary is them speaking telepathically.

Only three chapters left!! My plan is to finish this book by the end of the month.

Next up, Bad Wolf and Parting of the Ways

Enjoy 'Boom Town'!

~~~~~~

The train from London arrived at Cardiff Central with a loud screech. Mickey, who'd been waiting by the doors, was one of the first people off. He quickly made his way out of the station and headed off towards where Rose was meant to be waiting with the TARDIS.

Truth be told, he'd been a little put out when Rose had called just to ask him to bring her passport. It sounded like she was staying with the Doctor, which made him feel like—

Mickey shook his head. He'd decided on the train that he wasn't going to let his feelings get in the way of spending time with Rose. He stopped in front of the TARDIS and rapped on the door.

A few seconds later, a man Mickey had never seen before opened it. "Who the hell are you?"

Mickey blinked. "What do you mean, who the hell am I?" he asked. "Who the hell are you?"

"Captain Jack Harkness." The Captain looked him over. "Whatever you're selling, we're not buying."

"Get out of my way!" Mickey pushed past the man. Rose was fiddling with something at the console. Jackie's old neighbor, Jane — no, it was the Emissary, he remembered Rose telling him that — stood across from her, staring at a screen. She looked up and waved when Mickey entered.

"Don't tell me," Jack said from behind him. "This must be Mickey."

"Here comes trouble!" the Doctor said. Mickey looked up to see him up on a ladder. surrounded by wires. The Doctor grinned down at him. "How're you doing, Ricky boy?"

"It's Mickey!" Mickey corrected. Rose abandoned her spot at the console to come up to him, smiling. Mickey couldn't deny how happy she looked, even though it made something break a little inside him.

"Don't listen to him," she said, "he's winding you up."

"You look fantastic," Mickey told her. Rose grinned widely and pulled him into a tight hug.

"Aw, sweet, look at these two," Jack said. He looked between the two Time Lords. "How come I never get any of that?"

"Buy me a drink first," the Doctor quipped. The Emissary laughed brightly as Jack adopted a pout.

"You're such hard work."

"But worth it," the Doctor threw back.

"Did you manage to find it?" Rose asked Mickey as she pulled away. He nodded and dug through his pocket.

"There you go," he said, handing her passport over.

Rose smiled as she waved it at the Doctor. "I can go anywhere now."

"I told you," the Doctor said, "you don't need a passport."

"And if we end up in America again?" the Emissary asked him. "What then?"

Rose snorted in agreement. "It's all very well going to Platform One and Justicia and the Glass Pyramid of San Kaloon, but what if we end up in Brazil?" She grinned, tongue in teeth, and held up the passport. "I might need it. You see, I'm prepared for anything."

Mickey frowned. "Sounds like you're staying, then." The words just slipped out. The mood in the TARDIS plummeted as the time travelers all paused awkwardly. Mickey shifted uncomfortably and wished he'd kept his mouth shut. He changed the subject quickly. "So, what're you doing in Cardiff?" He pointed at the Captain. "And who the hell's Jumping Jack Flash? I mean, I don't mind you hanging out with big-ears up there—"