Father's Day

Rose laid in bed for a long while after they dropped Adam off, staring at the ceiling. Finally, she got up and headed for the console room. The Time Lords looked up as she entered.

"Thought you'd gone to bed," the Doctor said. Rose shifted under his gaze.

Before she lost her nerve, she took a deep breath and spoke. "Peter Alan Tyler, my dad," she said. "The most wonderful man in the world. Born 15th September, 1954." She swallowed hard. "Died 7th November, 1987. He would have loved to see me now, that's what Mum always says." She looked up at the two Time Lords. "So I was thinking, could we, could we go and see my dad when he was still alive?"

She watched the Doctor look at the Emissary, something passing between them before he turned back to Rose. "Where's this come from, all of a sudden?"

Rose just shrugged, thinking it was a lost cause. "All right then, if we can't, if it goes against the laws of times or something, then never mind, just leave it."

The Emissary shook her head. "No, we can do anything. We're just worried about you."

"I want to see him."

The Doctor nodded slowly. "Your wish is my command," he said, as they set the TARDIS in motion. "But be careful what you wish for."
~~~
The Emissary, Doctor and Rose sat in the very back row, watching Jackie and Pete.

"I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Angela Suzette Prentice," the registrar said.

Pete repeated, "I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Suzanne, Suzette, Anita.."

The congregation snickered as Pete fumbled. Jackie just sighed and waved it away. "Oh, just carry on. It's good enough for Lady Di."

Rose hummed thoughtfully. "I thought he'd be taller."
~~~
Back in the TARDIS, Rose looked no happier. "He died so close to home," she said. "No one was there when it happened." She looked up at the Doctor with pleading eyes. "I want to be that someone, so he doesn't die alone."

The Doctor sighed. "November the 7th?"

Rose nodded. "1987."
~~~
The TARDIS materialized and Rose stepped out, looking up at the sky.

"It's so weird," she said, turning back to the Time Lords. "The day my father died. I thought it'd be all sort of grim and stormy. It's just an ordinary day."

"The past is another country," the Doctor told her, shrugging. "1987's just the Isle of Wight. Are you sure about this?"

Rose nodded determinedly. "Yeah." She walked a bit forward, then stopped. "This is it. Jordan Road. He was late. He'd been to get a wedding present, a vase. Mum always said, that stupid vase." They watched a green pull up and Pete got out of it, heading across the road. "He got out of his car, and crossed the road." She closed her eyes and turned away. "Oh, God. This is it."

A beige car raced around the corner just as Pete crossed. It slammed into him and kept going. Pete was left laying in the road, barely moving, vase shattered around him.

The Emissary nudged Rose. "Go to him, quick." Rose stared at her father, frozen in place.
~~~
A few minutes later, they were standing around the corner, listening to sirens wail. Rose sniffed. "It's too late now," she told them. "By the time the ambulance got there, he was dead. He can't die on his own." She looked up. "Can I try again?"

Above her head, the Emissary met the Doctor's eyes and shook her head. It wasn't a good idea. The Doctor ignored her and a few minutes later, they were exiting the TARDIS again.

"Right," he told Rose, pointing. "That's the first you and me. It's a very bad idea, two sets of us being here at the same time." He ignored the Emissary's muttered 'Oh is it a bad idea?' in the back of his mind. "Just be careful they don't see us. Wait till she runs off and they follow, then go to your dad."