No one but Woe to Blame

"Wednesday, you need to wake up," a voice yanked me from my sleep.

Above me in a halo of weeds and daisies was my aunt. Ophelia did not look like her cheery self. I sat up and uncrossed my hands from my chest, "What's going on?"

At the foot of the bed was Pugsly. But my aunt didn't even turn to him. "Principal Weems has asked you to go to your classes today, but there is some news I've come to convey."

"Don't beat around the bush. Bad news always goes first so everything else is tainted," I said.

She still hesitated. What would keep my aunt from telling me something? Where my parents okay? "Your friend.... Xavier Thorpe was just careflighted to the city's hospital."

I threw myself out of bed. Enid stirred at my sudden commotion. "What happened?"

"A student, Kent, carried him this morning to Weems. He was bloody and badly beat up. His leg was broken and he had a vicious scratch across his arms," Ophelia explained. She put a hand on my arm. "The sheriff believes it's the Hyde. He was sighted in town yesterday. Don't worry, you are safe here."

I pulled my aunt up, "I've got to process these emotions alone, please." I pushed her out of the room.

Damnit
Crap
Crap
Crap

Tyler had attacked Xavier.

I ran to the bathroom as Enid sat up and yawned. I turned on the shower and jumped in. The scolding hot water felt as if it were burning a layer of skin off. If only. Maybe then they'd care flight me and I could see if Xavier was going to live. Not that I could help. No, I can only do bad to Xavier. I really only do bring forth misery.

Enid pounded on the door. "Wednesday! Yoko just texted me something. Tell me this isn't happening! What's going on?" She yelled over the water.

I watched as the last of the shampoo washed out before turning off the shower. I pulled a black towel off the rack and wrapped it around me firmly before throwing the door open and yanking Enid in. I slammed the door shut.

"Tyler attacked Xavier," I confessed.

Enid put her hands to her face, "Is he going to die?" Tears began to brim in her eyes.

"No, he won't," I said with assurity. I had no say over if he lived or died but I wasn't going to scare Enid more. "Weems is going to be watching me all day. I don't know if Tyler is still in the library or not, but none of you can check. Just in case he attacks again."

I racked my brain for a plan. I might only be able to make a break for it in Horticulture. The greenhouse was so vast and dense that it made it easy to hide in the plants.

My phone in the pocket of my discarded clothes buzzed. I reached down and pulled it out. A text from my stalker. A text from Bonnie.

"Wish you could be here," the text read.

And then an image uploaded. It was a hospital bed. Xavier. He was in a gown with tubes in his nose and down his arm. He was being prepped for surgery. And next to him, in a bird cage was Thing.

"Bring me my mother's soul and it can be a full party." Another text.

I pressed the phone to my chest before Enid could see.

"Your hiding things from me again?" She asked in despair.

I grabbed her by her shoulders. "You are my best friend Enid. I am not discarding you. I just can't tell you everything yet. But I promise you won't be in the dark for long." I opened the bathroom door and pushed her back into the bedroom. "Please take care of Pugsly for me."

I braided my hair wet. My socks went on backwards and I had to fix them. By brain was so scattered. How could I be expected to go to class? And macabre to start off. Enid had already left for class by the time I had reentered my bedroom. Pugsly was out like a log. Something was tucked in his arms.

A small smile crossed my face. We were a family of brilliance. Pugsly had finished the collar. I shoved it in my backpack and exited the door.

Though I had pushed her away, my aunt was still here. "I don't have a morning class, so I thought I might walk you to class." No doubt, she was assigned to me.

"What will you do if he dies?" Ophelia asked.

I turned to her, surprised by the question. "I don't know...Attend his funeral. Solve his murder. Avenge him."

"Avenge him?" She asked in surprise. "Wednesday, you shouldn't be just doing any of that. The answer is mourning. You should be sad."

I almost went to ask more and then stopped, "Why are you trying to be my therapist? This whole hypothetical conversation is useless." And luckily the door to the class room was right in front of me. I entered late.

The light from the hallways momentarily lit the dark room before I closed it shut. I found and empty seat. The teacher ignored me and continued, "What must happen happen for a person to begin enjoying the macabre? Wednesday?" He picked on me.

I had always enjoyed the dark and twisted. Did one have to do anything, "Accept the darkness within?" I asked.

"Accepting our own shadows only make us rounded out. But what puts enjoyment into it?" The teacher reiterated.

Marcus spoke up, "Enjoyment comes when we no longer fear being afraid."

"Correct, open your text to page 34." The class moved on and I tried to with them. I just kept staring into the dark and being wrapped into my own thoughts.

The bell rang. I stood up and moved fast, first one to the door. When I opened it, Principal Weems stood in front of me. She once again had plastered a fake and deceiving all-is-well smiled with her cherry lips.

"Miss Addams, I thought I might escort you to your next class and then we could discuss matters along the way." She spoke. The other students payed her little attention as they raced off to their classes.

I took her in, looking her up and down. Where was Principal Weem's soul? And how could I take it?