How Woe of Me

Vincent Thorpe's way of breaking into the brain is entirely different then my visions and the spell. We didn't fall into my brain and take a look around. No, he pulled my thoughts out. I was still in my body looking around the room. I could see Xavier's face. But I felt empty.

"Is there ever a time where murder is allowed?" He asked. He wasn't asking me, he was asking my brain.

And it responded with little pause. "Terrible people can end terribly. It's efficient and effective. We as a society embrace it far more then we care to admit. The death sentence, war, surgeries."

"Would you murder?"

"Yes," I answered.

They both paused. "Have you murdered?" This question wasn't coming from Vincent. Was someone else in the room? I couldn't pull on my memories to remember anything.

Mr. Thorpe reiterated the other voice's question. "Have you murdered anyone, Wednesday Addams?"

"Yes," the words came out of my mouth. "Dr. Valerie Kinbott's death is on my hands. I take that responsibility."

He shook his head, "But you did not murder her." Mr. Thorpe pulled his hand away from my forehead. I felt the hold peel off of me and exhaustion filled it's place. I teetered back and forth in my sitting place.

It was Xavier. He was the voice I couldn't remember when I was under his father's control. He steadied me. "You shouldn't have done so much," he scolded his father. "She is about to pass out."

"She's fine. And not a murder so we can all be happy," Thorpe replied dryly as he sat up.

I looked up at him. He was just a blurry figure. "Wait, you just wanted to see if I was a murdered? That's your whole evaluation?"

"No, what you showed me Wednesday is that you aren't a monster, you are just an outcast." He turned around and left without saying anything to his son.

Xavier held me by both my shoulders. "Here, drink some water." He let go to bring a water bottle to my mouth. I let the cold refreshing liquid swirl in my mouth before swallowing.

"I see why you aren't a big fan of his," I finally spoke.

He helped me stand up. I felt lightheaded and uncharacteristically weak. "Kinbott's death is not your fault," Xavier said as he opened the door.

"But it is. I was so busy being blinded by your obvious setup that I let Thornhill kill her," I said.

He stopped, "Tyler killed her. And second, it was never your responsibility or duty to save the school, but you did anyways. You owe nothing to anyone here."

We left the tower in silence and Xavier walked me all the way back to my room. I don't remember falling asleep, I just remember shoving Pugsly off the bed and throwing my face into the pillow.

———
[Xavier]

After Wednesday left, Xavier left for the library. He was taking the next Tyler shift. And he wasn't upset about it. It was time him and Tyler spoke alone.

Yoko was perfectly happy leaving and going to bed. She mumbled about an early class in the morning and then was off.

Xavier sat on the window sill and just stared at Tyler. "I'm not going to break out. I don't want to be the Hyde," Tyler finally broke the silence.

Xavier scowled, "I am not going to believe anything you say. So don't even try."

Tyler turned to face me, anger across his face, "Okay, stop with the internalized jealousy. I get you and Wednesday-"

"No you stop!" Xavier put out his hand and scoffed. "You don't get it do you?" He moved from the window sill. "I'm not some one dimensional guy who's only characteristic is liking Wednesday. Screw Wednesday. I don't like you because you suck!"

He paced back and forth. "You bullied me. You murdered innocent people. You manipulated a friend. You almost killed another. And you are still here trying to play the role of a loveable abused puppy!"

"As opposed to the misunderstood tortured artist, right?" Tyler egged him on.

Xavier stopped, "Ya, maybe. But you were in my mind." He tapped his forehead aggressively. "You invaded my sleep. I only dreamed of you. And I know you Tyler."

Tyler cocked his head, "You don't know me at all Xavier." And then he rapidly transformed into the Hyde.

Xavier jumped back, running to get the blow dart, Yoko had left for him.

The Hyde wrapped it's claw around his leg and yanked him back. Xavier grunted as his head slammed into the library stone floor. The monster roared into his face and tossed him into the air.

Xavier smacked into the ceiling. The dust and cobwebs coated him before he began falling again. He was going to die.

The Hyde caught him again, spinning him in the air. Xavier felt his leg snap. He let out a blood curdling scream before passing out.

———

Ever since last semester, I'd been dreaming about Tyler and the Hyde. It had been like he was calling out to me. Even at the Addams manor. Even among my familiar childhood walls.

But tonight, he wasn't in my dreams at all. Truly the bond had broken. But just as I had thought, Goody had left me with something else.

I was in my home in my dream. I was always a lucid dreamer and usually could manipulate it well. This time I was in the family room. Our family alter sat before me, all the red candles burning. I didn't turn to the pictures, having already memorized my ancestor's faces well. There was something new. A book.

It wasn't the book of shadows or the journal or my novels. No, it was something new. A red diamond was embedded onto the black inky leather. I sat down before it and opened it up.

The first words read:

"Once Upon a dark and lonely time was a girl born Wednesday Addams. She brought forth misery and contentment."