All Woe and No Play

"Let's start with defining Macabre," The teacher spoke. I tried to focus my attention on them. I couldn't even tell who was in this classroom due to the dark lights.

"A gruesome depiction dealing with death and injury," a student answered.

I pulled out my notebook. The teacher continued, "can anyone else give an example?"

"Kissing a monster that killed your principal and other innocent people," a smooth voice spoke from behind. Whispers surrounded it.

I raised my hand but answered before they even called on me, "Or slicing someone up in their sleep and strewing their body parts across the school because they messed with the wrong person." The whispering stopped.

The teacher went on to explain what the class would be going over. When the time was up, I was the first out of the class. I wanted a good view of each and everyone of them. I'd never spoken to a single one of them except for the last person to come out.

Marcus sauntered out, "What an interesting class."

"When I put a stake through your heart, would you prefer blunt or sharp?" I asked.

He leaned down, "When you find my heart, do tell." And then he melted into the shadows. Vampires were very skilled at that.

Supernatural studies in the library had a lot of students. They crowded the tables. I sat myself in a lonely chair in the corner of the room. The leather was quite comfortable and the chair faced both doors so their would be no surprises.

"Are you any good at this class?" Ajax stood in front of me, scratching the back of his neck.

I had both Goody's book of shadows and the founder of the school's book of monsters. I would be set, "Of course. What's not to obsess over in the supernatural?"

"This is the second time I'm taking this class. The first time around didn't seem to stick," he replied. I wasn't totally sure why he was talking to me or if I wanted him to.

I waved my hand, "you've got a whole secret library as a nightshade. Resources none of these students have."

"Ya, but I am dyslexic," he responded.

I pulled my backpack to me, "Have Enid read to you. She would put anything aside to help you."

He saw me turn to my books and he walked away to the table packed with other guys.

The next class was Fencing. Ajax followed me like a hesitant dog, unsure if it was okay to approach me. I let him feel that way. No need to get chummy. Plus if he was scared of me, he'd be careful how he treated Enid.

"After our epic teamwork against Crackstone, I'd love another duel," Bianca approached me. "Let's see if I'm still better then you."

I nodded at her as I entered the locker room to change. My locker was entirely black in a row of blue ones. "You could have had a white outfit," Bianca noted.

"White is my accent noncolor. Black is where I shine," I replied before changing.

The mats were lined with students waiting for Coach Vlad. Ajax and Xavier were on the mat beside us. Xavier held his helmet in his hand. "Aren't you still injured?"

"You mean the arrow you shot and I took?" I asked.

He raised an eyebrow, "That means we are at 3 for 2. I'm winning at saving you."

"Well I'm not going to duel her if she's got a gaping wound in her arm. This isn't an epic rematch anymore," Bianca scoffed. I glared at Xavier. Bianca walked off.

Coach Vlad entered the room. "There is no need to get dressed out, Wednesday. You are still healing."

"I can still beat most people here using my non-dominate arm." I pointed out.

He paused. "As tempting as that sounds, I am not brave enough to go against Principal Weems. Sit this one out."

I reluctantly stepped off the mat.

The matches started. I watched glumly from the wall. I had hoped this would cheer me up, but now I was a sitting duck.

Xavier hit Ajax. Ajax dove and still didn't avoid it. He lunged and Xavier got him again. I watched again and again as Ajax got hit.

"Put your right foot forward," I finally spoke up. "And extend your arm. You look like a chicken." Ajax obeyed. He moved a little less awkwardly. "Lunge and then pull back immediately. Two steps to the left." I coached. Ajax finally won a point.

Xavier pulled off his mask, "Really? This is what you are doing now?"

"Can't handle that I'm beating you without a sword in my hand?" I asked.

He put the mask back on and got back into ready position. They started again. I had Ajax feign a lunge and then roll to the ground. He got Xavier in the leg.

The next one Xavier got Ajax in the chest. It continued on in this way. "You've got a natural teaching skill," Coach Vlad spoke to me as he came up to the wall.

"Those who can't, teach," Xavier bit back from the mat.

I turned to Ajax, "Parry and push him back into that corner." I turned to the coach. "I was five the first time I was gifted a saber. I wasn't allowed my first scalpel until I bested my father in a duel."

"I remember your father when I went here. He simply refused to lose," the coach spoke. "They always had wanted him to teach." I hadn't seen my father duel in a long time. All he did now was dote over my mother and wave his sword around like a cane. Maybe he got bored. More likely, just old.

I turned back to the duel I was coaching. They were tied at six each. Everyone else's matches stopped. They just watched in awe. "Stop being scared if his sword. You need to be wary, not frightened," I called out to Ajax.

"Not everyone enjoys pain like you Wednesday," Xavier called out.

"What do you know of pain?" I retorted. "The only thing that has hurt you is your own painting."

He swung his saber faster, "Don't pretend to know anything about me."

"I think you are transparent."

Ajax stopped. "Enough!" He pulled his mask off. "I refuse to be the puppet in your weird little fight." He stepped off the mat.

Everyone was watching. I hated having eyes on me. "Very well. I will give the allotted time to heal and then I will destroy you in a duel."

The class time was up. We all had to change back into our clothes. I waited at the door for the clock to strike. "Are you two going to be like this in Herbology too?" Bianca asked as Xavier came sulking being her.

"Of course not. He can't even debate plant knowledge with me," I replied while keeping my eyes on the door. It opened and we began walking through.

And just when I believed I'd have a respite of silence, Marcus turned the corner. "A horticulturist too? Thornhill will be so proud."

"That isn't that woman's name. And a single garlic clove could take you out so I'm warning you to stay back," I replied. I was getting tired of talking to everyone. Why are there so many people.

His fangs glinted in the light, "Empty threats. You don't even have something unique about you. No one likes you and Weems picks up stray dogs as a hobby."

"Don't speak to her like that," Xavier interjected.

I raised my hand, "I'm more of a cat person, personally."

We opened the greenhouse door. Standing amidst the poisonous plants was a blonde headed woman. She wore a floral dress and vines were wrapped in her hair. She turned to us. "My dearest niece, Wednesday! Come give your Aunt Ophelia a hug!"

What a nightmare.