FOURTEEN

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 :
PAINFUL MEMORIES

VISA COUNT: 16 DAYS
﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     "HOW LONG WILL this take?" A young Ayame questioned, "I have a game to finish

"HOW LONG WILL this take?" A young Ayame questioned, "I have a game to finish."

"Not long Sakai," Her mother explained to the six-year-old, "you're just meeting my little brother."

     "You don't have any brothers." Ayame pointed out, recalling the fact that she was told at every family get-together.

"Not. biologically, but people do not have to be blood-related to be your family." Her mother explained, "I met him when we were young, and luckily our friendship still lasts despite our years."

"...Still not blood." Despite the young girl's complaint, the two still ended up arriving at the hat shop. Standing there were two men, one with a shaved head and the other a full head of hair hidden by a tall hat.

    "This is my daughter, Sakai." Her mother introduced, holding the girl's arm as she moved the one forward.

"I'm Takeru, but my nickname is Hatter." The man wearing a hat was introduced, giving the girl a friendly grin. The bigger man waited for Takeru to be done before he introduced,

     "I'm Aguni."

     "Hi," Ayame said blankly, blinking up at the men in confusion. Her reaction spurred something in Aguni who brought her mother off to the side to speak with her quietly.

     Since she was watching she could read his lips, the words 'you didn't tell me you had a daughter' coming off clear as day. Ayame pouted. Aguni seemed mad. Was he mad at her? However, Hatter caught her attention when he leaned beside her and questioned, "Tell me, Sakai, do you like hats?"

     Ayame furrowed her eyebrows at him, loudly asking, "Are hats the only trait you have?"

"Oh—Wow, sharp words for a six-year-old!" Hatter reeled back, his hand clutching his chest. His dramatic actions gained a childish smile from the little girl who laughed at his pretend hurt. "You're gonna grow up to be a heartbreaker, aren't you?"

Ayame didn't falter, if anything she puffed her chest, "If all goes well."

"What a big girl phrase, where did you learn that?" Hatter asked, still crouching in front of her.

"I heard it on the TV and asked Mom what it meant," Ayame explained, a proud expression taking over her brain.

Hatter laughed at her expression. Aguni and her mother had finished talking, one of them happier than the other. Then they all joined together for the first time.

They had been so happy back then. Aguni had taken Hatter from her yet again. Now she had neither man. She could only assume Aguni was dead, lost to the fire that enveloped the Beach whole.

     A sudden sharp pain knocked her out of her thoughts. "Ow!" Ayame groaned in pain, looking down at the blonde man kneeling in front of her. "You did that on purpose."

"You were distracted." Chishiya hummed, continuing to pick the pieces of the bullet out of her leg casually.

Ayame tightened her lips, looking at the man with a tired expression, "I could do this myself you know."

"I know." Chishiya looked up at her slyly, "But you won't. You'd rather cut off your foot than spend time working on helping yourself."

"Dick," Ayame grumbled.

"Asshole." Chishiya returned.

The two met eyes and smiled.

"Have you two made up yet?" Kuina asked, making her way over to the pair after she saw the interaction. She had been staying away, the cleaning process making her queasy, "I can't keep switching between you too."

The two looked at each other, both with contemplative expressions, "Have we?" Chishiya prompted first.

"Are you done sending innocent people to their deaths for your gain—?" Ayame was cut off when Chishiya poured the peroxide onto her wound. "Ow!"

"Ouch." Kuina winced in sympathy.

Ayame took a few seconds to calm herself, the pain slowly fading though staying in a dull ache, "Is that a no?"

Chishiya let out a small laugh. Ayame rolled her eyes.

It was Arisu's turn to walk up to the pair, scrunching his face as though the wound hurt him too. He focused on Ayame's face instead, "Are you okay?"

Ayame turned to him, a pout on her lips, "Taro said he'll have to amputate my entire leg, up to my thigh."

"Sakai," Chishiya warned, tightening the bandages around her calf.

"Hey—"

"The kid's worried." Chishiya scolded with a monotone voice before turning to Arisu, stating, "She's fine."

Ayame huffed before she looked up at Arisu, she dropped the act, "I'm fine. Just in a lot of pain."

"...Good."

Chishiya finished his bandaging, and Ayame stood up. "Come on Ayame," Arisu was nudging her arm, "we're leaving to go to Shibuya."

Ayame looked over to Arisu, seeing him in new clothes, "Woah, you guys are all dressed. Me and Chishiya—"

"Chishiya and I." The man himself corrected.

Ayame stared at Chishiya, "Me and Chishiya." She repeated, then slowly turned to Arisu, "Are still wearing bloody clothes."

"Only because you got your blood on my sweats," Chishiya grumbled.

Ayame rolled her eyes, "You're the one being so aggressive with my wound."

Chishiya rolled his eyes, "Whatever."

"Okay." Arisu nodded, "There's a department store right there so—"

"Come on Ayame!" Kuina burst forward, taking the girl's arm into her hand and wrapping their arms together. "I'll help you."

"Okay." Ayame allowed herself to be dragged along by the girl. She didn't mind. She enjoyed spending time with her friends, even in darker times like this.

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

AUTHORS NOTE !

I wrote Arisu and it changed
it to Sirius. I think autocorrect is
trying to tell me something.

Anyway, this chapters meh and
I don't know when the next will be,
but I'm going to be doing once a
week updates.

Posted: February 14, 2024
Words: 966
Edited: ✘︎