Chapter 2: The Pain We Bear

This chapter is written from Ethan's point of view.

"I, I love you like a love song, baby
I, I love you like a love song, baby
And I keep hitting repeat-peat-peat-peat-peat-peat (oh)"

Impatience starts to set in. I was so excited to announce that Cherryl and I are together. However, she wouldn't be there to announce. I never even heard from her since she ended our quick call before she went to work. I'm sure Cherryl had gone home when 8pm struck at my side. 5pm to be exact in her country.

Oh, growing butterflies, what an honour to be there present inside.

"Hun, I'm going to work right now. It's almost 7 and I should be in a hurry," she rushed to the doorway, locked it and hailed a local transportation. "Love you Ethan."

"Love you too, babe. Stay safe."

And she hit 'end.' She never reached out to me since that morning. I was sure that she was fine, but my impatience just kicked in again when I looked at my Messenger. The last activity that was done by both of us was the video call this morning. She looked so messy, but I loved it when she was a mess.

Everytime I stare and take a look at our conversation, I feel really emotional on how she managed to admit her feelings towards two years ago. I was that coward, I admit. I shaked that thought off. Being with her was both an honour and a gift from Above. Remembering the moment where we got together was very memorable. The next morning, I was energised despite waking up after 4 hours.

It was 8am. Cherryl left a message a few minutes ago. I really want to call her, so I said.

"Call?"

"Okay, give me a moment."

What makes it very sucky to do so is that I was not able to touch her. That thought had me very worried because that's the pain that we both bear. Looking back to the moment after the confession, we were very eager to see each other again. I missed her so much that it hurts me not to call her.

I called her to make sure. I saw her still in her sleeping position. I pressed a kiss to the screen to wake her up, like I kissed her. I laid on the side to pretend she was there and we were laying next to each other.

"Good morning," her cute, groggy voice made me warm my heart. I fixed my own eyeglasses to see her further.

"Good morning too babe." I spoke to her, saying my endearment name for her.

"Babe?" She raised her forehead. See? Her confused appearance is still so adorable and cute.

"Didn't you find it very cute? I thought both of us had feelings for each other and had asked each other out."

"No, Ethan. I just ..." she was lost of words at that time and tried her best to construct a sentence she has been yearning to speak. "I'm just so happy that I have you."

Her face was red when she spoke to me. "Aww, you're cute. You're so cute that I would melt if I were an ice cream and you were the sun."

"Don't talk to me like you've been flirting," she covered her face, still smiling from behind. "You're giving me enough butterflies to melt me."

"I will always make you melt because the time you became mine, I always knew you're the one."

"Oh, shut up Ethan!" she whined in a playful and adorable manner. "You're making me blush, honestly!"

"Why not, babe?" I smirked, bursting my laughter out afterwards. "You're so cute when you are annoyed!"

"No, like seriously," she peaked her eyes out, still covered from her hands. "I'm blushing, you know!"