If You Had A Bad Day

A smile slowly stretches onto my face at the fact that he isn't dead. I don't know why, but I just find myself grinning.

"Hey," I say in a small voice.

Then, Jo starts crying hysterically. For a second I almost forget. This means that Luke is dead and Kai wins. He peers up at me and pauses for a beat, then sits up. Caroline picks me up swiftly and Kai brushes himself off.

"You win some, you lose some," he says.

Jo glares at him through her tears. I have never known Luke personally, but I still feel empathy for her. I understand how bad it hurts to lose a sibling. "Except for me," he adds, "I always win."

"I'm going to kill you," threatens Jo in a shaky voice.

His shoulders jerk up slightly as he chuckles. It is completely dark by now and the only light we have is the moon and lamp posts. "Funny one," replies Kai. When he turns to me, my face stays blank.

A smirk tugs at his lips. "Told you. You can't stay away."

Caroline flicks her head between us rapidly as my expression stays the same. "Uh," she stutters, "yes, she can."

I don't even have time to react when she picks me up and speeds off. The wind rushes through my hair as my heart drops to my stomach. It doesn't make me angry, I kind of expected her to rip me away earlier, actually.

"You are such a doofus," says Caroline, once we are far away.

"I know," I agree.

Now that the merge happened, Bonnie can come back. Kai is definitely going to help us, he has to. He has so much power and ability that he is practically invincible. Just the thought gets me jumping.

"Caroline, why aren't you smiling. This is great-"

"What, that your boy-toy isn't dead?"

That is the part that agitates me. There is nothing going on between Kai and I, but everyone seems to think so. "No. How many times do I have to tell you that there's nothing going on between us? The thought of me and Kai makes me want to barf. He's a sociopath."

She doesn't look fazed. "I know," she says flatly, her arms crossed. I uncross them and hop once. "He can help us get Bonnie back! That's why I'm happy! We can finally see her again! Aren't you happy?"

Her expression breaks from placid to stressed. "Of course I want to see her again, Iz. I want that so much, but I'm not stupid enough to think that Kai is actually going to help us!"

"We didn't even ask-"

"It doesn't matter! He left her in that hell for a reason, do you really think he's going to bring her back? Just out of the goodness of his heart?"

Something tells me he would, if I beg. Which I will. Everybody sees his as one hundred percent relentless, and he might be, but there has to be some humanity in him. Though right now I can't get passed the fact that Caroline just called me stupid.

"I'm sorry for having hope, Caroline," I tell her and spin on my heels to go home.

We aren't very far. It feels longer since my hair is sticking to the back of my neck from the heat and humidity.

My hand is wiping sweat off my throat when I open the door. The lights are on and Stefan and Matt are sitting at the kitchen table. Matt shoots up, scolding, "Are you kidding me, Izabella? Do you realize you could have died tonight?"

I don't understand the big fuss over going to the merge. It's not like it was a fight between vampires and witches or something. How could I have gotten hurt?