Caroline's Mom

All day yesterday and so far today, everyone had been ignoring me. Everyone besides Matt, at least. I tried to call Caroline, but no answer.

Elena wasn't answering, either. Stefan was the last person I wanted to call so I didn't even bother.

I even called Damon, and he didn't answer.

It was like they were hiding something. "Matt?" I asked as he was walking by with a plate of food.

"What is it? People are waiting," he said.

"Why is everyone ignoring me today?"

I didn't know what it was. Maybe the merge already happened and they didn't want to tell me?

There wasn't anything else I could have thought of. "I don't know, Iz. I have to go," Matt replied and walked away.

So my own brother was brushing me off, too.

I decided to find out for myself. After work, I was going to find out what was happening.

But sadly, it was only the morning and I was working until three.

The day dragged out. There was nothing to do, since business was a little slow. It was only Wednesday, so not a lot people wanted to show up here.

During my break, I tried calling Caroline again, but she didn't answer. And when I called Elena, she didn't answer, either.

I then called Jeremy.

"Hello?" he said.

"Jere! Hey!" I beamed.

"Oh, hey, Izzy. What's up?"

"Do you know what's going on with everyone? No one is answering my calls and I feel like they're keeping a secret. Not even Care is answering me," I explained.

Something inside me said that Jeremy was going to help me out, at least a little bit. After all, I was practically desperate.

"They didn't tell you?" asked Jeremy.

"Tell me what?"

My hand tightened on the phone. "Caroline should tell you herself," he told me. Well, it wasn't what I hoped for, but it was something.

"Why can't you just tell me?"

"Because it's not my place to tell. Just stop by her house, I'm sure she's home."

I sighed. It was all I was going to get, so I accepted it. "All right. Thanks, Jere," I said.

"No problem."

When we hung up, I put my head down on the table. Caroline and I were supposed to be best friends.

Why did everyone else know what was going on and I didn't?

Was it because I'm human?

When the clock struck three, I tore off my apron and dashed outside. "Izabella? Where are you going?" Matt asked, waiting beside our truck.

"I'm running to Caroline's! I'll just walk home!" I responded.

Matt got in the truck and drove home. It was extremely hot out that day and I was wearing a black shirt.

By the time I got to Caroline's, I was sweating.

Thankfully, it wasn't bad.

I knocked on the door twice and waited impatiently. My foot tapped the cement as the sun burned my back.

Through the window on her door, I could see Caroline at the other end of her house.

Our eyes locked on each others and I gave her a desperate look. "Open the door," I said quietly, knowing she could hear me because of her vampire abilities.