Replacement

Tanjiro blinked his eyes open slowly, the sunlight creaking through his eyelids as he woke up.

What happened?

He remembered charging at the stranger, his hands behind his back before the world turned dark.

Nezuko!

Tanjiro bolted upright, looking around for Nezuko.

He relaxed as he spotted her laying next to him, sleeping but still alive.

Thank kami...

He turned his attention to his sister, getting his bearings. He froze as he spotted their house, still covered in scratch marks and broken wood. Blood stains the house like a painting.

"You're awake."

Tanjiro flinched in surprise as the stranger they fought spoke up from behind him.

I didn't hear him at all...

He faced the stranger, placing himself in between them and Nezuko.

Giyuu looked at the boy, glad to see he still had the will to protect his sister even if he'd already lost to him.

He has to be that stubborn if he wants to become a demon slayer.

Giyuu spoke calmly, "Did you mean what you said about curing your sister, or were you just trying to buy time?"

Tanjiro stiffened at the question, not letting his guard down as he answered, "I meant what I said. I'll find the demon who killed my family and cure my sister. I won't let anyone hurt her."

Even you.

Giyuu nodded, liking the boy's determination.

"Good."

Tanjiro tensed, wondering if the stranger would attack him again.

He smells calm. I don't think he'll attack Nezuko anymore.

Before he could ask though a crow cawed overhead and dove toward the stranger, landing on his shoulder.

Giyuu gave an imperceptible smile as he stroked Kanzaburo's feathers, untying the note attached to its leg.

"Thanks, Kanzaburo."

Tanjiro watched in shock as the crow opened its beak, "Caw! You're Welcome! Caw!"

It spoke...

Tanjiro's shock only deepened as the stranger's scent, which hadn't changed since they met, started to get a little lighter. Still marred by sorrow but seemingly less of it.

Giyuu rolled up the note, pocketing it as he wrote Ubayishiki a quick reply and attached it to Kanzaburo.

"Take this to Master Kagaya."

Kanzaburo let out a caw as he took off, flying toward the horizon and leaving a very confused Tanjiro in its wake.

What's going on?

But before he could ask the stranger turned his focus back to him, walking slowly towards him until he stood directly before him.

Tanjiro tensed, not detecting any hostility from the stranger but not willing to take any chances.

Giyuu looked at the boy and the demon girl behind him, remembering the axe he threw at him and the kick the girl gave him to protect her brother.