After School

After School

The author is bryonymagee

"In the beginning, we were only messing around. One moment, Mel and I were joking about what we'd like to do to him as we sat watching him mark papers through the classroom window. The next, he and I were joking about how oblivious the rest of the school was to our relationship. It was like living inside of a TV show...except, the end credits never came; we just kept pushing the limits, falling deeper and deeper into our own private, blissful universe until, eventually - inevitably - we collided head-first with the real world, and from then onwards, not even laughter could ease the impact of the chaos we'd created..."

Annabel has never had a boyfriend. Melody has had plenty. In fact, most of the girls at St Madeleine's have at least experienced their first kiss. So, when the young new English teacher, Mr Clare, arrives at the school, turning every girl weak at the knees with his deep voice and sparkly-eyed smile, it's no wonder Annabel falls harder than most for his charm.

What Annabel doesn't expect, though, is for her feelings to be reciprocated. But soon she finds herself immersed in a dangerously secret world: a world in which she and Mr Clare forget that rules exist, and spend time after school bonding over their love for Literature, music and - eventually - each other.

Things aren't so wonderful, though, as Annabel quickly realizes. Secrets can't be kept forever, especially where jealous best friends are concerned. And when the truth finally emerges, nothing will ever be the same for Annabel, Melody or Mr Clare, again...