Chapter 28

"How can I be your daughter? Ma, how is this possible?"

"Please Emmeline forgive me," Alice begged.

"That is what she told me too." Esme spoke calmly with her arms crossed and her brow raised, slouched on one of the chairs in Silas' office.

"Emmeline please," Alice sobbed.

Silas, who sat at his desk, shook his head at the scene taking place. He had no opinion on the matter as it was nothing to do with him but the fact that this information was presented in court allowed for Emmeline to escape with a 'slap on the wrist'. Silas kept thinking of the love he almost lost.

It was inevitable that this argument was going to occur in the family but little did Elias know how things would go. He stood ready to defend Alice regardless of the wrong she did against him.

He had forgiven the fact that he was deprived of seeing both girls grow, taking their first steps and having the opportunity to build a relationship with them from a young age. There was nothing he could do but now he found Alice and his daughters he wasn't letting anyone go.

In her panic, Alice kept repeating the same thing over and over, leading to Emmeline's frustration and Esme's emotional absence. Elias embraced her and she calmed down while Emmeline spoke.

"Look, Ma, you keep saying that we should forgive you but you are not explaining anything. Please Ma just tell us what happened."

Silas stood and made his way to Emmeline who was sat on a sofa with her hands clasped in her lap as sadness covered her face but curiosity in her eyes. He sat next to her and held her hands in her lap and his other arm resting on the sofa behind her.

Finally took herself out of the hug and explained, "Me and Elias have known eachother since we were young, my mother was a maid and worked in the castle. We were inseparable from then until I left. To make a long story short, I got pregnant with you Em and Elias had told me that I needn't worry and that he'd look after me. Of course he kept him word from the moment you were conceived and even after you were born. Then I had you, Esme a few years later after coming to Energia but before you were born Elias' father had passed away and he had to take over to rule the kingdom. He promised that he would marry me and make me Queen but people started to talk and rumours started flying round. It got to the point where someone attempted to kill me, while I was walking home from work. You girls were too important to me so I took the decision to flee and come to Energia where I have kept you two safe. I thought Elias would have forgotten about me and had an arranged marriage." She paused and breathed out, "All I wanted was you girls to be safe. However, when years passed and my health started to decline, it wasn't just because of my weak immune system, it was also from heartbreak and the lack of self care. I didn't realise that leaving Elias behind was going to take a toll on my body."

A tear shed from Emmeline and Esme looked down, staring into space but still listening. She regretted her reaction to knowing about Elias being her father, had she known that someone tried to kill her in her helpless state then she would have shown her mother some respect but just like Elias she had forgiven her mother and accepted the truth a long time ago.

Being a young girl and having people at school ask of your father who did not seem to exist or (at that time she thought) having a father that didn't care and was prepared to leave, still hurt the same. The words from the other children scarred her ears and felt drawn on her body. However the same scars she had learned to accept since nothing could be done to change it.

Silas kissed Emmeline's temple and went back to his desk to look at some paperwork while the family had their moment. When he looked up, he saw that they had hugged each other into a tight embrace including Elias.