Chapter 10

Emmeline entered the familiar room, it was the next day and the sun had risen giving a warm hue of light. Once again, Emmeline carried the platter into the room with an arrangement of savoury muffins filled with cheese and sweetcorn and other sweet pastries accompanied the muffins.

Silas was nowhere to be seen but Queen Zella came out of the closet, clothed in her jewelled red dress. Unsure, Emmeline walked towards the dining table to place the platter down. She bowed as Queen Zella took a seat, she was about to leave but Zella stopped her.

"Stay, maid." Zella said, bluntly.

Turning around, Emmeline stood awkwardly near the table. Her fingers become increasingly interesting.

Emmeline day dreamed about Silas and his secret garden. That moment when she looked into his eyes and began coming closer. 'Oh how I wish his lips touched mine. Is it normal to feel this way about somebody they cannot have? Especially when that person is beyond one's reach in every way shape or form? What if he doesn't like me at all and I am reading something that never existed? I wish he would just tell me, to put my mind at ease but what if he well and truly likes me. He might only see me as a friend, someone to confide in, instead of pursuing something with.'

"Are you deaf?" Zella spoke crudely.

"I-um..."

Zella turned to face Emmeline, "I asked you a question. Are you deaf?!"

"No, no. I am sorry your highness. I didn't mean to-" Emmeline spoke in a panic but was shortly interrupted.

"Get me tea, maid. I did not ask for an explanation." Zella rolled her eyes, taking a bite of her muffin.

Rushing, Emmeline went to the table and poured hot water that had been brought up earlier by another maid. The tea bag was hastily put in and the contents of the tea bag diffused out into the hot water. Emmeline stirred the tea, which allowed a strong aroma to escape the mug, and handed it to Zella. In the midst of handing the drink over, Emmeline split the contents on to the Queen and she immediately stood up.

If Zella's face was not in a scowl before it was now. "What is wrong with you?! Urgh!!!"

Emmeline began apologising profusely, "I am so sorry. Let me help you."

Slapping Emmeline, she screamed, "Get away from me with your incompetence."

Her hand cradled her cheek and was on her knees.Tears escaped as a result of the stinging feeling in her cheek and she rocked trying to comfort herself. "I-I am deeply sorry. Please forgive me."

"You stupid girl, I am going to have to change! I will get you out of this palace!"

Just as Zella began the last sentence, Silas sauntered into the room and his brows scrunched, his lips frowned as he saw the scene before him.

"What is going on here?" He said, closing the door behind him.

"This stupid girl ruined my dress."

Silas looked at the woman, who was still on her knees cradling her cheek at an angle to him. Continuous tears flooded out of her brown eyes.

"So, is that why you are shouting?" Silas' gaze was deadly and only focused on Zella, "You know my mother hit this woman and you know how I reacted. So why would you think that it is okay?!"

"Silas' I-"

"Zella, get out of this room and get someone else to help you. Now!"

Zella spoke swiftly, "You should have gotten rid of this maid! What is she still doing here?!"