Chapter 22

Two days after the forbidden affair, the confrontation and tormenting herself with the erotic memory, Emmeline was back at work after her short break. Her hair was up and small pieces of it framed her sharp jawline, the pieces of hair near her ears curled a little. She wore a light brown dress that was decorated with a corset bodice, it snuggled and revealed whatever figure she had.

Emmeline had thought of wearing the deep emerald dress but thought it to be too much for her line of work and that maybe there would be another time to wear it with an emerald necklace that her mother gave to her, who claimed it to be her grandmother's.

Sunlight stormed into the corridor as Emmeline was cleaning the glass windows. It looked out upon the garden that she had once been directed through by Silas. At some points of cleaning, she would stop and visualize the night they shared but was then quick to remind herself that regardless, she had a job to do.

Earlier that day she had already given Queen Zella her breakfast but soon realised that Silas was not in the room. When she had gotten into the kitchen, Emmeline was told by an exhausted Marissa that King Silas had requested for his breakfast to be delivered to his office. Emmeline had no idea that when she got there that she would be 'the breakfast'.

As Emmeline cleaned, her thoughts ran into the land of nod. His touch, from his hands to his lips, felt indescribable as if no one was in the world but them. As much as Emmeline wanted to deny the way he made her feel, she couldn't. The only reason she wanted to suppress her emotions was that it was wrong however his touch, his smile, his laugh and his co-, made it feel otherwise.

"Emmeline, helllooo?!" Harriet called. She and Emmeline had the same job and work in the same corridor by coincidence.

"Yes? I'm sorry."

"No need to apologise. The King wants to make an announcement to staff. We should start making our way there." Harriet spoke in her gentle, soothing voice.

"Yes, of course."

They hurried their way to the grand hall and stood at the back of the crowd. King Silas was already on stage and began delivering his message.

"I will be gone for a week. Marissa will be here to check on you. The standards of this palace will not decline, I'm hoping. The Queen will still be here so as ordinary you will keep to your duties." There was a pause and Silas discreetly scanned the crowd for Emmeline. "You may all depart!"

People began to leave the hall but the King stood talking to Marissa about something. It wasn't until both Harriet and Emmeline were summoned that they realised what the King was conversing with Marissa about.

They both curtsied as a form of respect to the King. Emmeline glanced quickly at his features as if meeting him for the first time before turning her attention to Marissa.

"You called for us, Marissa?" Harriet started.

"Yes. The King will need you, girls, to accompany him."

Silas' deep voice interrupted Marissa, "Yes. The King of Acquatico can be... neglectful to my wishes." He lied.

During his small confession, he gazed at Emmeline with that glint in his iris' before glancing shortly at Harriet to make it seem the explanation was for both girls.

Harriet nodded and Emmeline replied, "We will be at your service, Your Highness."

He nodded and turned to Marissa, "Make sure they are ready for the trip and the week's visit. I leave tomorrow at sunrise."

Silas walked out of the hall. Had he stayed longer, he wouldn't have been able to control himself. The way her dark eyes spoke illicit words to draw him in. The immoral thoughts that swirled into his mind taunted him to take her and kiss her was overwhelmingly convincing.