Chapter 5

Her eyes fluttered open, and Emmeline's memory was distorted. It wasn't until she closed her eyes, that she remembered she had a job to go to. She rubbed her eyelids with the back of her hand and kicked her feet over the bed, sitting at the edge. Taking a breath, she stood from the comfort and began dawdling to the small wardrobe full of Esmeralda's clothes, hers, at the end. She had washed her last dress and only had one left, her hand reached for her last dress before closing the wardrobe door.

It wasn't that Esmeralda was spoiled, having so many dresses, Emmeline just prioritised her and her mother more than herself. Emmeline wanted her sister to have as normal a life as possible. When Emmeline was asked by Esmeralda for clothes, shoes or jewellery, Emmeline was taken back to the day that her sister came home crying because people at school made a laughing stock of her. After all, she wore the same dress the whole week. They told her that she smelt bad and was too poor to afford new clothes. Emmeline rectified this by going into town frequently and buying her a dress or two with matching cloaks, new shoes and jewellery anytime she had some money to waste and Esmeralda always showed gratitude to her sister. The tears of her sister, caused by someone else, hurt Emmeline too much for her to do anything about the situation.

Emmeline got into her dress before checking the cupboards, making sure food was filled to the brim. She made a note of the items that ran out and that she needed to go by the city centre for them. Rushing into the front room, she kissed her mother's forehead and put on her cloak before picking up her basket, putting the note inside. Leaving.

Immediately, the winds hit her and her hair flew with the wind's current. Her hands went straight to the hood and pulled it over her head. She began to walk through the small village she lived in to get to the city.

After going over the bridge, it took her twenty minutes to walk from the bridge to the city centre, which was not bustling. The sun had barely risen when she was making her way through the city. Emmeline had finally made it to the stone staircase and began her climb.

Granted entrance at the gates, she entered and made her way to the kitchen where Marissa was there to greet her. "Hello Emmeline, dear, how are you?"

"I am good thank you, and how are you?"

"I am good also. I hope you don't mind helping me in the kitchen today." Marissa smiled.

Emmeline shook her head, "Of course not. I am happy to help in any way possible."

Marissa put her hands on either side of Emmeline's face and gave her a loving smile. "You remind me so much of my daughter."

"What happened? If I may ask." Emmeline inquired, cautiously.

"Oh, nothing. She got married and had to move away, that's all." Marissa chuckled.
She lifted her hands off of Emmeline's face and said, "Now go and put your things down quickly. Go on."

Emmeline walked hurriedly through the corridor, under the grand arch and put her things away. Making her way back, she remembered something and needed to ask permission from Marissa.

"Marissa?" Emmeline said when she reentered the kitchen. Marissa turned to her silently telling her to continue. "Is it okay if I have a break to go into the city centre? My mother isn't-"

Marissa intercepted, "Of course. So long as you come back within two hours and do not tell the other maids. You can leave at ten o'clock."

Emmeline smiled widely, "Thank you so much and I promise I will be back and I promise not to tell the maids." She said fast.

"Come on, dear, let's get to work."

It was now midday. Emmeline had already gone into the city centre, bought her shopping, went home and came back. She checked her mother's condition and if Esmeralda had gone into school, which she had. Emmeline made sure to eat something before leaving the home.