Chapter 13 - Prince Nigel

Katie's P.O.V

The sounds of horses running into the city startled everyone. Tony held me back, the mob was surrounded by four horses within seconds, and some ballsy riders let no one go free, each taking a corner trapping us all in.
"Let the man go!" The rider to John's left called out, on a brown stallion geared with a regal saddle and reigns. He was average height, with long blond and black hair, wearing regal clothes, belonging to the castle. His voice... I heard it before.
"Who the hell are you?!" Tony cried out, looking to the rider.
"We're many things, but our number one is the prince's guard." I knew that voice also, looking back to the one behind us.
"Andy?" I stared up at him.
He grinned at me, sat up on a grey stallion.
"Prince?" Whispers circled round.
"There is no prince." Tony stared to the first rider - Nick.
Was the curse lifted? 

"There's always been a prince!" The man climbed down from his horse, hurrying to John's side.
He took the noose from his neck, and lifted the mask, the city folk gasping and backing away. Gary pulled me behind him, making space between Tony and I.
John stood a broken man, wrists bound in irons, his eyes lifeless, staring down at me. His burns out for all to see.
"That's the prince. You knew..." Gary grabbed my shoulders, Martin pushing his way towards us.
"I tried to tell you. I'm not crazy, Gary!" I frowned. "I love him."
"Gary..." Martin frowned.
"Did he lie to you?" Gary asked me.
"Never."
"Did he hurt you?" He frowned.
"No..." I shook my head.
"You really love him?" Martin smiled at me.
"With all my heart." I declared.

The mob got angry. Andy, Roger, Simon and Nick drawing their swords.
"Get to him. He needs you. I'll try talk sense into Tony. Martin, get Steve and Keeble. Someone's going to get hurt." Gary took charge, putting his family first.
We split up. Martin ran deep into the mob, calling for our friends, Gary ran for Tony, and I made for John. The mob was getting rough, pushing forwards, calls of violence and war. I pushed through, finding myself by Roger, up on his white and brown horse.
"Miss Kemp." He smiled to me, seeing me push through.
"Get me to John." I smiled up at him.
He offered me a hand, helping me up, making haste towards the platform John was on.
Nick stood in front of him, warning the mob to calm down, his mission to protect the prince.

Roger helped me to my feet, before riding his horse between John and the mob, making them back away, giving me time. I ran over to John, taking his face in my hands, making him look at me. His eyes showed hurt, fear, and agony.
"Kate..." He looked at me.
I pulled the iron from his wrists. "I'm sorry this is happening." I frowned, letting him out.
He placed his right hand to my left cheek, looking at me, the second his hand was free. "I love you."
I smiled, looking up at him. "I love you."
"You can't marry him... I'll die." He choked, eyes only on me.
"If it'll keep you safe, I'll do what I must." I frowned.
"No..." He shook his head.
"Your highness, we're running out of options!" Andy ran over, the mob over powering.
"He's no prince!"
"He abandoned us!"
"Where's our king!?"
"He's a coward!"

"You need to get out of here." I told him, trying to push him towards a horse.
"I'm not leaving you." He only cared for me.
"I can't go with you. They'll kill you." I cried, as he wouldn't budge.
He wiped away my tears, pulling me into his arms. "I'm dead without you, Katie."
"Sir, we must leave!" Simon rode over, a riot taking form. Pitchforks being raised.
"John!" Nick frowned, his sword crossing with a mans angry pitchfork.
"Please, go!" I begged him, pushing him back.
He stared at me. "I'll never see you again."
"It's for the best. I'm sorry!" I cried.
He cupped my cheek, looking down at me. "I'd rather die, then never see you again." He let me go, looking over at Tony, who was ignoring Gary's calls.
"I'll show you a monster!" He declared war.

"Katie, you best get to your brothers." Andy grabbed my arm, grabbing my attention.
"Keep him safe." I begged him.
"We will." He promised, before I ran past John over to Gary.
They pulled John back, back to their horses, riding towards the palace.
I knew it was a trap, them having the advantage at their home.
"GET THEM!" Tony cried out, before they marched.
"GARY!" I pulled my brother aside.
"He doesn't fucking listen!" Gary growled.
"He never will." I got his attention.

"Katie!" Steve ran over, with Keeble and Martin. "What can we do?"
"Stop them from getting to the castle. They'll kill John." I feared.
"Take it the wedding's off, then?" Keeble smiled at me.
"You can bet your ass on it!" I frowned, before I saw John's horse, by the docks, shaken up.
I ran over, slowing as I approached. "Easy..."
He calmed, slowly meeting me half way, having become familiar with me.
"Good boy." I smiled, petting his mane, before he started panicking, something spooking him from behind me.
"Whoa!" I held my hands up, backing up.
"Katie!" My brothers cried out, before everything went black.

. . .

I lifted the sack off me, finding I was in the back of a carriage. I sat up, looking around, seeing bars up high, the only window, the only light.
I stood, looking out, seeing I was in the city centre. Everyone was gone... I had to find a way out of here. I can only hope Gary's gone to the castle.
The doors were locked and with no other exits, I was trapped.

"Katie!" I heard Steve call out, with footsteps running my way.
He jumped onto the carriage step and looked down at me.
"I'm sorry I left you. I had to get the key! Your brothers and Keeble have taken that horse and gone to the castle. Tony's out to kill the prince." He telling me, unlocking the door.
"How did you get the key?" I asked him, as the doors opened.
"I'm a blacksmith! I make spares for every key I make." He smiled at me, offering a helping hand.
I took it, climbing out the carriage, seeing I was in the back of the asylum carriage.
"He was going to..." I couldn't finish the sentence. Tony planned on sending me away.
"Yeah, but we got to you first. Come on." He took my hand, before we started running for the castle.