Chapter 6 - Breakfast

Katie's P.O.V

I laughed at Andy's story. He was telling me how he worked in the castle, and what the prince was like. Though, inconsiderate and selfish, he had a sense of humour.
The door opened behind me, just as I was about to ask more of the prince.
I sat still, not daring to turn around, hearing his heavy booted footsteps walking closer to me.
Andy strolled over to the fire place, glancing over every so often, starting up a new fire, the old having gone out.
A plate was placed in front of me, along with a chalice.
"Sorry... I burnt it." John mumbled. "Had to start again." He walked over to the other side of the table, seeing the mess tidied up, just waiting to be taken out.
He sat in his chair, sitting back, arms on the arm rests, his head resting on his left hand, which he propped up. He had no interest in conversation.
I picked up my fork and looked over my eggs. Scrambled, how I like them, with juice in my cup.
In an awkward silence, I dug into my food.

Andy dropped the tool he was using, causing a loud clatter.
John and I looked over, seeing Andy looking back at us two, with in an awkward stance.
"Sorry... No hands..." He held up the tassels which substituted his hands.
John glared, turning away from him.
"Need some help?" I offered him.
"No!" John spoke up.
"No, thank you, miss Kemp. I've got it." Andy gave a slight bow to me.
"If you're sure." I ignored John. "I don't mind."
"Did you not hear me?!" John sat up, looking over at me.
"You help him then!" I looked over at him.
"I shouldn't have to!" John barked back.
"Sir, miss, please!" Andy came over, standing at the table between us, back to the fire. "I assure you, I'm fine. I've done it a thousand times..."
John glared at me, I glared at him.
"I'll have Roger come collect your dishes, sir." Andy gave a bow, before walking my way, to the doors.

"Why'd you bow to him?" I caught him by the tassel.
Andy took a step back, from passing me, holding my hand, looking at me, sat on his right.
He looked back over to John, before looking back over to me. "Sass." He shrugged.
I snorted, and burst out laughing.
"Silence!" John slammed down on the table, catching me off guard.
I stared over at him, as his eyes stared deeply at me.
"I best go. Finish your breakfast, miss." Andy placed a tassel on my left shoulder, assuring me I'll be OK.
I let him go, and sat back in my chair, John sitting back in his.
"I jus' wanted to have breakfast with you..." He frowned.
"I got lost... You could of just come for me yourself, knowing I don't know my way around here." I spoke softly, avoiding his gaze.
"I sent for you." He spoke just as softly.
"They got me lost..." I pointed out.
He paused for a moment. "Have you finished eating?"
I glanced over at him, giving a small nod, as his eyes watched me, and only me.
"I'll have Nick clean up for us... Roger will show you around the castle, and I'll have Andy find you a new outfit." He spoke so calmly. He was in control, and I was falling for it.
"What's wrong with this?" I asked him, looking down at my red dress.
"You're here to clean... I'd rather you not get it dirty." He told me, before he stood.
He walked round the table, walking past me, over to the door.
"Sir." Nick hissed, behind me.
I looked back, seeing Nick over by the door, pointing over to me.
John gave a growl at him, before he turned back around.
I sat up straight, hiding behind the chair, not wanting to piss him off again.
He grabbed the back of my chair, and pulled it out for me, making me jump.
"Happy?" He then walked away.

The door closed and I heard Nick running over. "Sorry, miss Kemp!" He caught his breath, having it be a long run, from the door to me. "I'm trying to teach him manners. We've not had a guest in a long time, it's been years since we last used this room..." He looked around, as if reminiscing.
"It's OK... Some men just don't care anymore... Very few do." I gave the clock a soft smile.
"I hear it's rather unpleasant out there..." Andy came over, sneaking through the door.
"We've no money. The only choice we have now, is I marry Hadley... He's not a bad man, I just know what my life would be, if I say 'yes' to him. Cooking and cleaning, being a trophy wife to him. The city folk congratulating him on taming me, the women scoffing, because I'm with him, while they're all passed around... It makes me sick... But here I am... I live with my older brothers, you see. Gary, the eldest, and Martin... Gary's taken charge ever since his parents passed, and he's allowed me to live freely until now... Every penny I make working here, goes to my brothers, and once we have enough, we're going to leave this city and start new lives." I smiled.

"What if you don't make enough?" Nick asked me, Andy having helped him up onto the table, as to not crane his neck.
"Then, I'm a trophy wife..." I frowned.
"The world has certainly changed, since we last went out..." Andy sighed.
"You were once human?" I asked them.
"A curse, miss Kemp... An old witch cursed us to common objects..." Nick frowned.
"Is there no opposing spell?" I asked them, sitting up.
"No, miss." Andy started. "John's the only one who can bring us back, but he's given up on us."
I looked between them. "Is he not your friend?! I'd never give up on my brothers! That's why I'm here!"
"John's something else, miss Kemp... He could learn a thing or two from you." Nick smiled at me, proudly.
"I may be a lady." I stood up, hands on my hips. "But I am just as good as any man."
"Then, perhaps you can get to the King's study and start cleaning, on your own!" John called from a door over to the right, at the back of the room.
"This way, miss Bolan." Andy smiled, taking my hand.
"I can do it." I smirked to John.
"Prove it." He dared me.