Chapter 10 - One Week

Katie's P.O.V

Every morning, without fail, John would come for me, for breakfast. He'd sit to my right, laughing and talking with me, before he'd tell me what room needed cleaning, and I'd spend the day on it. He'd come in after a few hours and drink tea with me, reading to me, as we did. We travelled through France, Germany, America, and beyond, all while staying in the one room.
Once the tea was finished, I'd finish the room, then dress for dinner, where we'd eat and talk again, before he'd read to me more, sitting in the library, in front of the fire.
A couple of nights, I'd fallen asleep while he was reading, waking up in my room. He'd never mention it, carrying me to bed. He didn't give an attitude, and he opened up to me more. It was nice to have a friend here.
Today was different, though. Today marked a week of me coming here.
I stared out my window, seeing smoke from the chimney of my house... I missed my brothers so much. I couldn't write to them, and they weren't allowed to visit.

"Katie?" John knocked on my door, sounding cheerful.
"Come in." I didn't look over, watching the smoke rise and disappear.
The door creaked open, before closing. He came over, standing behind me.
"I-Is something wrong?" He asked gently.
"I miss my brothers... I've been here a week now." I sighed.
"I'm sure they miss you too..." John frowned. "Breakfast is ready." He changed the topic.
I looked up at him. "Breakfast?"
"Yeah! Scrambled egg!" He smiled. "Just how you like 'em."
"I'm not hungry, John." I shook my head, looking back out the window.
"But we always eat together." John frowned.
"I'm not hungry." I told him, with a shake of the head.
He was silent for a brief moment, before he walked out in a huff, slamming my door behind him.

. . .

I fixed the door of a glass cabinet, in a treasury room, having gone a day without breakfast or tea.
I stuck to myself, only with Roger for company. He gave me a peg up, as I straightened out some ornaments, on a high shelf, when the door opened and John let himself in.
"Do you wish you see them?" He asked, cutting to it.
I stepped down. "What?" I looked at him.
"If I let you go see them, will you come back?" He looked panicked.
"Would you let me?" I asked, stepping closer to him.
"Would you come back?" He stepped closer to me.
I stared up at him. "By sunrise." I promised.
"Sunrise..." His eyes were scared. "You promise?"
"Yes." I whispered.
"Take my horse... Please, come back." He begged.
I smiled at him. "Thank you!"
I ran out the room, and down the main stairwell.

"Miss?" Simon asked, as I ran by him and Andy.
"I'm going home!" I didn't stop.
"Wait, what?" Andy asked, before they chased after me.
I opened the front door and hurried down the steps.
"You'll come back, right?!" Andy was the quickest, catching up.
"Yes!" I smiled, running to the stables. "I just have to see my brothers."
"That's great! It's just..." Andy stood at the stable doors, as I saddled up John's stallion.
"What?" I looked over at him.
"It's just we like having you here, Katie..." His tassels dropped, like he was sad.
Simon hopped in through the doors, out of breath. "She's leaving us?"
"I'll be back, I promise. I just want to see my brothers. I'll be back by sunrise." I assured them both, walking over, crouching to the ground.
"John's much happier when he's around you..." Simon smiled at me.
I smiled at his words. "I just have to see my brothers, just for a short while."
"Well, if you must... Have a safe tri-"
"Someone's here!" Roger ran in like a lost puppy.
We looked over at him.
"A man, on a black stallion. He just rode up." Roger barricaded the door, using his body.
Andy and I looked to one another, before we looked out one of the windows, hearing a horse coming closer, taking it's time.
"Do you know him?" Andy whispered to me, as they came into view.
A tall figure, dressed in all black, on Hadley's horse.
"Tony..." I whispered, before I backed from the window, walking over to the door.
"Katie, wait!" Andy hissed, as I walked out. The guys all staying inside, undoubtedly watching.

Tony grinned, seeing me, and climbed off his horse, as I walked over to him.
"What are you doing here?" I smiled at him. "You shouldn't be here."
"No, phantom is going to scare me." He smiled, meeting me halfway. "I came here, because your brothers haven't received a penny. I wanted to make sure you were alright, being treated well." He looked down at my cleaning clothes.
"They haven't?" I asked about the money, confused. "John promised..."
"He lied." Tony frowned. "Katie, face the facts. He's not paying you, or your brothers. He-"
The sound of money falling to the floor stopped him.

I looked around him, seeing John standing tall, with a bag of money by his feet.
Tony looked over at him, turning to give him his full attention.
"£100. For your brothers. I was hoping to catch you before you'd leave, so you could give it them yourself." John frowned, ignoring Tony.
I smiled at him. He didn't lie to me.
I was about to walk up to him, when Tony pulled me back.
"I don't think so." He frowned. "You keep her here, as your maid, unable to write to her brothers, never allowed to see them. You probably keep her locked in her room, when she isn't cleaning."
"Tony, wait-" I frowned.
"Now, now, Mr Hadley... You're the one whose walked onto my property." John stepped forward, challenging Tony. "You're the one making a point of miss Kemp having no options... I simply gave her work. Money."
"You keep her trapped here, like a slave!" Tony growled.
"No, he doesn't!" I grabbed Tony's arm.
"I want you off my land." John glared, before he grabbed my arm, pulling me back into the castle. "And you can pay the brothers Kemp yourself!" He called back to Tony.
"I'll be back, phantom!" Tony called out. "Don't think I won't."

John slammed the secret door shut and looked down at me, angry.
"Why did he come here?" He was battling himself.
"He said you hadn't paid my brothers. I didn't realise-"
"NO!" He stopped me, trying to not rage at me. "I should have told you. I just didn't want you to leave me."
"John, I was coming back." I placed my hands on his shoulders, looking up at him, as his hands were on my waist.
"I trust you." He stared at me. "I just don't trust them."
"They're my family." I looked up at him.
"They're monsters. They did this to me." He took off his mask.
I gasped. I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad. It was a miracle he could see out his right eye.