32

"You're giving off Joe Goldberg vibes," Janet whispers as I stand near the column that gives me a direct view of my booth

 "You're giving off Joe Goldberg vibes," Janet whispers as I stand near the column that gives me a direct view of my booth. I accepted Tristan's challenge; once he hit the timer on his phone, I went to work and succeeded with a minute left on the clock. Before he walked out of the office, his thumb brushed against the corner of my mouth before placing it inside, telling me I spilled some. My eyes widened, and the butterflies in my southern region were ready to get bent over my desk. However, I know he had to talk with Marlene.

"Shut up," I whisper back.

"I would love for you to stay here and stalk your husband talking to his stepmother, but you're needed in the kitchen." She informs me.

That got my attention.

"What is happening in the kitchen?" I ask, already walking in that direction. Now is not the time for fuck ups.

"Paine," Janet starts but stops as I push open the kitchen door.

"What the fuck is going on?" I hiss.

"Chef, m-my wife, she had to run into work. It-it was unexpected, and she dropped off Lee. I still have to—"

"You have a fucking child in my kitchen. A child in the kitchen, Paine, what the hell are you thinking? We can't have this. You're done." I inhale deeply. Paine looks at me and drops his head in defeat. "For today, I'll see you tomorrow," I add, and Paine's head snaps back. He looks at me, relief washed all over his face. If this had happened months ago, Paine would have been fired without a doubt.

"Thank you, chef." Paine smiles from ear to ear, taking Lee out of the car seat and handing her to me. "Lee, Auntie Helena is the best, isnt she."

I hold Lee with wide eyes. This isnt how I saw any of this going. I don't do babies. I'm far from motherly, and I feel hella awkward holding this little one in my arms. I look over at Paine, gesturing for him to take her back, and he walks off, saying something to Lawerance. The hell! I turn to Janet, and she smiles, saying this is a good look on me. Like hell it is.

"Paine," I say warningly, and Lee starts to giggle. I look down at her and smile. Well, she is a beautiful baby. Curly brunette hair and warm hazel eyes. Her giggles tug at my heartstrings. No ma'am. I look back at Paine and he isnt paying me any attention. I look back at Janet, but she is no longer standing there; someone else is. Someone staring at me, holding this baby, with so much love in his eyes.

"Don't even think about it," I tell Tristan. "Paine, come get your child before I fire you instead," I say, not moving; I know I won't drop her, but damn, this is nerve-wracking.

Paine hears the desperation in my voice and takes his child from me, placing her into the car seat. He says he appreciates me for letting him leave early and not firing him. I tell him to hurry up and get his child out of here before I change my mind. I should partner with a daycare in the city to help my cooks with things like this. I want them to not have to skip out on work because they can't find a babysitter.