Part 14

''you're awfully quiet this evening..'' Rose noted a she took another bite of her food silently, looking across the table at Loki who barely touched a thing on his end.

It wasn't that the food wasn't delicious, he and Rose took a good amount of enjoyable time making it together, but from this afternoon's previous understandings, his appetite lost him. the woman before him was beautiful, different, strong and all his just by a simple title in position.. but during this time spent together she became much more to him, someone special, unique, independent and strong. He understood this over time as their bond grew, she wasn't his prisoner.

The words of Fury sank into him, despite how much he still didn't exactly enjoy the man's presence. Rose needed to be free. He had no need for her position anymore, but.. he still needed her. She must have that choice, not him. even now, his head shook to himself as he thought and understood.

''hey, are you okay?''

A hand on his startled him out of his thoughts and realize she had crossed over and placed a hand over his for his attention. His hand didn't hesitate to grasp hers gently as his eyes looked up into hers and she immediately looked concerned, getting on a knee so she was more at eye level with him where he sat ''..what is it?''

"I change my mind, I didn't-" the words flew out of him, then halted as he tried to get his mind and heart to work as one again, but panic at the thought of being torn from this glorious woman before him... "I misunderstood, Rose." He encased her hand with both of his as he turned his body more to face her and she looked up at him patiently with beautiful blue eyes.

She was surprised to feel his hands trembling ever so slightly. He was terrified, truly terrified and that stunned him. He'd faced down so much and nothing had rattled him as much as this.

He had to tell her this truth, to be completely forthcoming and honest, but he hardly knew how, so be brought her hand to rest against his chest, right over his heart so she could feel how fast it was racing, all because of her. "I need you because of this." It belonged to her, even if she didn't want it. It beat for her at this point, fluttered with her smiles, brightened when she sent him sassy quips, and thundered in his ears when she was close enough to touch. His expression was earnest, but his voice soft now, almost afraid, readying for the pain of rejection, which she had every right to throw at him, "I wasn't supposed to feel like this Rose, but I do. I feel if I am separated from you this will die in my chest..."

''Loki.. Loki where is this coming from?'' she asked, her voice quiet and concerned but her hand grasped his as if she was to be ripped apart from him just that second as her other hand remained against his heart.

''Rose.. your contract is to have you work for me as long as I allow it.. once my "lessons" are done and I am well equipped to exist in this realm independently without your assistant..'' he took a deep breath for the next part ''then I have the option to break the contract.. for you to resume your regular duties to SHIELD and i.. possibly might never see you again.. whether its your to busy or.. or SHIELD just strictly won't have me around because they no longer will need to.. I don't want to break contract because I don't wish to lose you..''

Rose bit her lip as she listened, her eyes having slowly been traveling down from his eyes, to the hand on his chest that beat faster the more he spoke. If his hand had been on her chest, he would have found that her heart beat would have been just as fast as his as her hands began trembling too. His hands gently squeezed hers out of reassurance as his eyes filled with concern but with patience to prepare for her thoughts on his but she remained silent as she looked back up at him and he continued.

"I don't care if I'm a prisoner as long as you are by my side. Having you torn from me now would be a worse torture than what SHIELD's specialists could come up with.." he slipped Rose's hand that was over his heart and brought it to his lips, pressing a delicate kiss on her knuckles. He feared that being separated from her after this and going forward would most definitely break him, and she knew it.