20

"Where's my end finally gonna be? Everything's so exhausting, from A to Z." ~ Wild Flower [RM (with youjeen)]

Jungkook had brought them to a lake house. It was a Spanish-style cottage with an exposed beam ceiling and huge windows that overlooked the water.

The fridges and pantries were fully stocked, as Jungkook visited the lake house once a month to make sure there was food and to throw away the expired ones. 

"How come I didn't know of this place?" Jimin asks tiredly as Jungkook carries him inside.

"No one knew about it," Jungkook says. "This safe house was kept hidden in case anyone tried to sabotage or betray me. But I trust you guys and I need you safe."

Jimin smiles weakly and leans his head against Jungkook's chest as his eyes shut. "Don't get all soft on me, Jungkookie."

The corner of Jungkook's lips turn upward as he carries Jimin upstairs and into a bedroom. He makes sure Jimin's good for bed before returning downstairs, seeing a distressed looking Taehyung pacing the kitchen and a silent Maisie sitting at the table.

"Do you have weapons?" Taehyung asks. "What if they come again? Are there any safety measures?"

"Relax, Tae—"

"Don't tell me to relax!" Taehyung snaps.

Maisie flinches, her nails digging into her palms. 

"Of course there's weapons here," Jungkook says, his voice rough as he stands straighter. "There's a security system and cameras overlooking the whole area. You sound like you doubt me."

"Well you let Jimin get shot so maybe I am." Taehyung growls.

"What the fuck did you just say?" Jungkook shouts, stepping towards him.

Maisie's eyes close. She tries to picture herself anywhere but in this room. 

"I said you let Jimin get shot!" Taehyung shouted back, shoving Jungkook's chest. "If it weren't for you, I—"

"If it weren't for me, you'd be dead," Jungkook says coldly, grabbing Taehyung by the collar of his shirt. "Let's make that perfectly clear, Kim Taehyung. You act like Jimin's only your friend. You act like I meant for us to get shot at."

"Maybe if you weren't so—"

"Enough!" Maisie snaps, standing with tears in her eyes. "Jungkook, take your hands off him. Taehyung, go upstairs and cool off."

With that, she turns around and heads outside, walking down the long, wooden dock that goes towards the lake.

Jungkook immediately takes his hands off Taehyung and the elder huffs as he walks past him and goes upstairs.

Jungkook sighs and runs a hand back through his hair before grabbing a jacket and heading outside, going down the dock to see Maisie sitting on the edge looking at the water.

He sits next to her and wraps the jacket around her shoulders before grabbing her hand, his thumbs smoothing over the crescent marks left on her palms from her nails.

"I'm sorry," Jungkook says softly. "Are you alright?" 

Maisie hates that question. Every time someone asks, tears are always brought to her eyes.

"Will we ever have a normal life, Kook?" she asks, her voice wobbly. "Will we ever be able to go out together without worrying about someone shooting us? Will I ever get to wake up and make breakfast with you without someone breaking in and shooting at us?"

Maisie's hands fly to her face as tears start to streak down her face.

"Will our lives ever be normal?" she whispers through trembling lips.

Jungkook sighs. That was a loaded question.

Their lives were not normal. That was just a fact. Their jobs as assassins didn't just create allies. It created enemies.

"C'mere," he mumbles, bringing her into his chest and holding her tightly as she cries into his chest. "I would love nothing more than to wake up and make breakfast with you. I want to marry you and move away, maybe get a couple dogs too. A little mini me or you would be great too."

Maisie looks up at him with a sad smile. "But?"

"No but, my love," Jungkook says, brushing her hair away from her face. "I'll make it happen for us. I promise."

Maisie cries at that. She wants to believe his promise so badly.

"Pinky promise?" she whispers.

"Pinky promise, baby" he says softly, wrapping his pinky around hers.

They stayed there for a while, holding each other close as they watched the moonlight in the water, thoughts of a normal life playing in their minds like a dream that was out of reach.