7

"Louder than bombs, I break. All the pain pour out." ~ Louder than bombs [BTS]

Namjoon had gone to bed hours ago, but Maisie, well, she couldn't sleep.

How could she? How could she rest when she could be training instead?

She had been training behind her father's back for months, wanting desperately to impress him.

And Namjoon was impressed his daughter. Hell, he praised her more than anyone he's ever known.

But she was fighting a war with her mind. A war against a voice telling her she wasn't good enough.

Maisie cries out in frustration and lands one last punch to the punching bag before looking down at her knuckles. Blood was running down her hands and curling around to her palms, and she stared down at it with trembling lips.

She sighs, grabbing the white medical tape and wrapping her hands as best as she could before walking over to the house monitoring system hooked up onto the wall. Yoongi had installed a couple of them throughout the house, as well as an emergency button that triggered red alarm lights, a blaring alarm, and sent out messages to everyone in the family.

A quick figure caught her eye in the monitor and her breath hitched. It was a man creeping through their kitchen, a gun in hand, and Maisie felt panic swell in her chest.

Without a second thought, she slammed her hand against the emergency button.

The alarm immediately went off and red lights flashed in the house, painting Maisie in a red glow as she began to strap knives onto her body.

She ignores the chills running down her spine and the fear prickling in her chest as she grabs a gun and begins creeping up the stairs. She doesn't know where her father is, and that made her anxiety spike as she stepped out onto the middle floor.

Bullets were fired her way and she flung herself behind the breakfast bar, her ears ringing as the wood chips flew around her. Once the firing settled down, she peeked over and fired her own gun, but the man ran further into the house.

"Fucker," she mutters, switching her ammo out quickly.

Her adrenaline wanted the man in her house dead, but deep down she was just a scared 13 year-old girl.

She was just a little girl who wanted her dad to save her.

Maisie eyes around the corner into the living room, trying to find the target, but a sudden kick to her side had her falling with the air being stolen from her lungs. She wheezes, trying to reach for her gun, but the man kicks it away and grabs her by the back of her neck, forcing her to look at him.

"Pretty little thing," he snickers.

Maisie grits her teeth and tries to move her face away when the man brings her closer in to sniff her, but she ends up being pushed to the ground when Namjoon suddenly punches the man in the face.

"Get the fuck away from my daughter before I break every goddamn bone in your body," Namjoon growls, gun aimed right for the man's face.

The man laughs as he stands back up, wiping the blood off his nose. "You think you can be a father? You're just a murderer, Namjoon. A murderer doesn't raise a kid."

Namjoon lunges forward and tackles the man to the ground, and Maisie watches with her heart in her throat. She feels frozen, even though she screams at herself to get up.

Please move, she begs, but her body stills.

"Dad!" she screams, watching the man put his arm around Namjoon from behind him and choke him.

Namjoon tries to kick and swing behind him but it's no use, his face reddening and his lips turning blue.

"M-mae," he chokes out.

Her body moves faster than she acknowledges as her hand grabs the knife on her thigh and sends it flying in the air. It hits the man right in the forehead, and Namjoon takes that to his advantage as he elbows the man in the chest to get away.

Namjoon falls to the ground, choking for air.

Maisie is frozen. She stares at the man, his dead body laying pliant on the floor while the blood drips down his face.

Then she panics.

"Oh, god," she cries, stepping back.

Her body was shaking, her breaths were thinning, and tears pooled in her eyes at alarming speed.

"Maisie," Namjoon says, stumbling over to her and grabbing her by the shoulders. "Maisie, honey."

She's still looking at the man on the ground and Namjoon takes his hand to the back of her head and brings her face to his chest, blocking her view.

"Oh, baby," he sighs as she sobs against his chest.

"I'm s-sorry," she cries. "I-I'll get over it! I-I—"

"Little Mae," Namjoon says softly, hugging her tightly. "It's okay."

In a house painted with flashing red lights and blood, a father holds his daughter while a dead man lays in their living room. Hobi, Yoongi and Jin would be there soon, but the chaos had already unfolded.

Namjoon doesn't want to deal with the aftermath. He just wants to wrap his daughter in a blanket and hold her while he reads her a book. Just like they used to do when she was little.

But she wasn't so little anymore. She was growing up.

And the first step in becoming an assassin was dealing with your first kill.