21: Dark Secrets

Silveree's POV

"Are you sure this is the place?" I heard Isley ask as his eyes scanned the area.

I wasn't able to answer because I had the same question in mind.  

From where we stood, we can see greens and flowers spread through the forest floor like a carpet. We can also see the towering trees thriving around the lake. But the rich vegetation was nothing in comparison to the crystalline waters they framed. 

We pedaled a few more and finally our eyes met our destination. Just a few meters from the shore, the lone house sat looking a bit out of place in that picturesque landscape. In contrast to the blue waters and the greens, the house appeared dull and devoid of life.   

"Well... this is what the address says." Kyden answered while looking at the Sabe's notes.  

"There must be some mistake."Isley muttered as we moved near the house. "The place looks empty."

By the time we reached the portico, we found out that our first impression was correct. There weren't signs of any life form coming inside.

"Is it just me or something is definitely not right?" Isley beat me in voicing out what's on my mind.

"Guess, we have to find out." Kyden stepped forwards and tried to knock. But before his knuckles could touch the door, it suddenly creaked open.

"Talk about creepy." I muttered as I caught a glimpse of the interior of the house which was in wild disarray. "What happened here?"     

"By the looks of it... this place had been ransacked..." Kyden cautiously entered the house and started investigating.

I followed after him and poked around the corners. I stopped short when I stepped on something. I retracted my steps and picked up the item, which turned out to be a broken portrait.  

Scrutinizing the image, I saw the familiar faces of my uncle Rojo and my grandfather Chris. There was another man in that photo whom I could barely recognize.

After a few minutes of staring at the middle aged blonde man with blue eyes in the picture, I muttered. "Prof. Azul."

I can vaguely recall the time I had first met Prof. Azul. I was a wee bit younger that time and my uncle took me to the Hunter's Society. Prof. Azul was working as a researcher and for some odd reasons, he took a blood sample from me... and I cannot remember the rest.  

"The house is empty. No one seemed to be occupying this place." Isley suddenly called out, jolting me out of my musings.

"I don't think so. Someone has been here." Kyden said.

"What made you say that?" I turned towards him and saw him running his fingers on the edges of a table.

Instead of answering, he took a cup sitting on the coffee table. "Whoever that someone is, he took off just a few minute ago. This cup is still hot."

With that said, we searched the whole house. Kyden checked upstairs, while Isley and I combed the first floor. Unfortunately, we found no one.

I had tried opening some of the doors but only to discover that most of the rooms were in a mess. It was as though the culprit was searching for something.

Since I could not find anything substantial, I left those rooms and began my search. I came upon an antique looking door. When I tried the knob, it luckily turned. I thought that I would be able to find something but all I saw was a bookshelf at right side of the room.

I would have left it alone but my attention was drawn by a cloth in between the bookshelf and the wall.

"Weird. How can that piece be caught in that junction?" I asked. Without any thoughts, I started making my way to the bookshelf. The floor creaked as I made my step. "This floor seemed to be older than the rest in this hou....se!"