Chapter 1

Remember, this is a rewrite of The Spirit Within. Different plot somewhat and slightly different, and I'm including adventure as well. It'll be good and — I Hope— worth your time. I promise.

Disclaimer: I disclaim Naruto and all the original characters; they rightfully belong to Masashi Kishimoto. This fanfiction, the plot, and OC are mine and the storyline isn't as the same as the anime Naruto Shippuden.

Enjoy!

_____________________

The moonlight was always the most peaceful thing to watch, even on a hot summer night. The glowing night marble illuminated the dark earth, surrounded by the clouds that hung freely around it. The beauty of the sky peaking beneath the cloudy crevices gave off that serene, blue glow. As a love to watch such a sight, every night was the same, especially for the woman who lives alone in a cottage.

Toshiko Hatame is her name, and over ten years, she's been placed here for shelter because of her family taken at such a tender age of eight. She was taken in by a farmer named Katsu, who live in a small village right outside her beseiged village. She remained there for four years with him, traumatized and ailing with her loss. The new place she was what she had as her home to recuperate, to find stability in not believing she was alone. It was enough for her to get over the death of her mother. Katsu was wise and in his mid-thirties, a townsman that everyone knew, and he treated her like she was his own child.

Just as she thought things could get any better, that hope was taken from her once again. With force. She remember vividly the day the same people from the previous years returning to will the people from the farmer's land. Innocent blood stain the earth, children of young and those yet to reach adolescent years were robbed of life. And the poor man Katsu sacrificed himself to allow her refuge from the siege.

She remembered his eyes, his face. He took a spear through his heart, sanguine liquid staining her face as she quickly closes the door to the secret escape route in fear.

After that she ran for nearly a day, luckily to run across this cottage. The key was in its lock. Luck was on her side to find refuge, and find fruits and meat in a refrigerator. She was on the brink of starvation, this cottage was her miracle in saving her life. When settled, she cried...and cried until she couldn't anymore for days.

Ever since the woman began looking at the moon every night for nearly ten years. However, those killings happened while the moon was whole and shining bright. Toshiko has grown accustomed to forgetting the gore, and focus on the beauty of the moon to free her thoughts while in this hot bath.

The moon was lonely, always. It is hardly recognized by the stars, though. Its light outshone them all, standing out from the darkness. Showing that it is alone. She can relate to the solitude.

And wanted it to let her go.

Sighing, she closes her cobalt eyes, slipping down and under the surface of the water and let her ebony hair float around her. Holding her breath felt like a relief, the water rushing to her ears granted muffled silence. If she was to remain here forever, the loneliness will be gone. On the hand, she never was a fan of being underwater nor has she experienced it. It may be a relief on her end of solitude, to rid the pain.

All alone, in silence.

'Fewer worries, less struggles...then it is over,' she thought as she now feels herself becoming smothered. Her cream like fists clenched as she was determined to remain there. Just a little longer, she thought more as she made a choking sound from beneath. As crazy as it seems, the eye does not deceive what's she's attempting.

Suffocating.

Suffocating...but she'd still be alone. And it hurts. It burned.

But she couldn't complete it, a huge wave of acceptance drew her back up for air. She coughed and brushed back her bangs from her eyes with heavy breaths. Her eyes looked at her surroundings before she leaned back against the rim of the tub.

She couldn't do it. She can't run from her past. From who she is. Maybe the thought of being alone nearly forces her hand to die peacefully. She didn't have anyone else, no neighbors, nothing. Not even pets; just herself and the comfort of her cottage. Maybe that's why she's obnoxious and outspoken?... The joys she's found around here were blueberry bushes, blue jays, and a lake about a half mile from here. She considered going there tonight, but it was not going to happen. There was scouts, ninja, and God knows what and who else is out there; on missions and whatnot.

A thought just crossed her mind and went to her lips. "Maybe a man will steal me away from here... Hmph, not like that is ever real, anyways. It is all fairytales..." Her voice was flat, saddened and void of humor. A messed up combination when one has nothing else to do. Nobody to care about her.

Other than that, she wishes to encounter someone...at least void of harm and danger. This solitude was eating her up.

Toshiko got out of the tub and dried herself and her bone straight hair. Once out of the bathroom, she went into the room that was rather spacious and cozy. She loved being upstairs, a great advantage on the enemy if she was to targeted or robbed. Dressing in a plain white T-shirt from the wardrobe and underwear, she quickly braided her chest-length hair hang to air do into waves for the morning. As the noon sun shines tomorrow, she will go for a blueberry hunt. Those fruits were "nature energy" food, including strawberries and raspberries -- anything with the suffix -berries on the end.

At last, she lies down on the large, low bed. She rests her head on the cushioned pillow, reaching a vanilla toned hand beneath it. A content smile stretched her lips as the Katana remained there for precautionary measures, and she quickly slept.

 A content smile stretched her lips as the Katana remained there for precautionary measures, and she quickly slept

[Image by Avion49 on DeviantArt. Find the image and rightful owner's work at this site: http://avion49.deviantart.com]