Corpses

The next few days were pure hell. The days were entirely training, fixing my fighting stances and enhancing my techniques - all taught by my very own mother. Was this how Shirley felt during all those days, controlled like a doll forced to do anything?

And soon, it was already the day of the competition. My younger brother Ryan was shivering next to me in sheer fear while Shirley looked as if she was going to faint. This time, there would be around twenty Estrada children fighting for their lives. I too, was at the brim of dying from anxiousness and terror. Then, we were all teleported else-where.

All twenty-one of us were now in a simple, red room. I immediately turned to my left - it was my older half-sister Shirley who I cherished. I saw terror shine amongst even her usually bright eyes. I glanced over to my right side - it was my precious biological younger brother, frozen on the spot, cowering amidst the horror that surrounded all of us. All of us were here not to treat each-other with sugar words and jolly smiles that reached everyone, but solely to kill. All these people were of my blood, trained past their extent for this competition, myself included.

A girl on the opposite side with white hair, but the dull kind, stuttered and shouted as soon as we were teleported here. Her eyes were blue, but dull like her hair - it wasn't the usual crystal-blue eyes like the rest of the Estrada children, which was why I probably underestimated her. 

"W-We can start now, right? So I can just.. Um.." Although she had just stuttered those words, a grin quickly took over her face and she smiled like a Cheshire cat. She took out a gun and grasped it tightly, before shooting at her nearest enemy. It hit directly at a young boy who looked around twelve, and he fell to the floor with a thud, face turning paler than ever as blood oozed out of his chest. I gasped in terror.

"One down!" She yelled in triumph, raising her arm up in the air. She was quite confident, wasn't she.

"Who should I go for next~ Ah!" I became shocked when I sensed her eyes targeting Ryan. For now, it was solely that girl that was taking action compared to the other children.

"Hm~ I never knew I had a younger half-brother as cute as this! What a shame you must die~" She kept her stance, and aimed at Ryan. Aware of who she was targeting, I instantly grabbed Ryan and brought him to the side as her bullet missed. Instead of a disappointed expression however, her eyes grew wider like a psycho and licked her lips.

"Too bad, this gun is no ordinary gun. It can release up to a hundred bullets, all able to go in separate directions!" I gripped tightly onto my spear, what on earth was she going on about? Then realisation hit me.

A bullet had pierced through Ryan's chest.

"Ryan!" Both Shirley and I yelled in despair. "Ryan, can you hear me? RYAN!!! ANSWER!!" But it was no use.

I shivered, the person that I trusted most was dropping down to the floor, now became a cold corpse. I placed my palm on my mouth as I gasped audibly, paralysed in agony, how could father accept such a disgusting tradition? I wanted to cry, and tears were already on the brim of falling out. Then I turned around as instinct reassured me, and witnessed the girl preparing to load her gun. It was the culprit behind my younger brother's death.

And when I saw that anxious smile that was plastered on her face, I lost all control.

***

The end of the competition was nearing, and my weapon was coated in deep red. Corpses were surrounded around me, cold, lifeless, non-breathing, dead people. There were only three survivors left - Shirley, another half-brother, and myself.

"How long do you think you can keep this up? Don't you feel guilty for all these deaths that you caused?" The boy smirked as he provoked me, using my weakness - which was the fact that I didn't like killing, to get me to stop and lose. But after the death of Ryan, there was no point in hesitating. I ran up to the guy and pierced him with the spear, but he avoided.