Chapter 4

Recap

"Of course, si-Ratan," I reply, catching myself before I slip up. We exit his office, and as we descend the stairs, I can't shake off the feeling of being under his watchful gaze. Reaching the car, he opens the door for me, a subtle gesture of his dominance. I thank him and slide inside, feeling his presence looming over me as he joins me in the car.

The driver starts the car, and we head to the excavation site.

***************************************

Bhavya's POV

I gaze out of the window, watching as the scenery changes from bustling city streets to dense forest. Forest? Is the excavation site really in a forest? I turn to Ratan with a puzzled expression, but he meets my gaze with an amused look. "Are you sure we're going the right way, Ratan?" I voice my concern, feeling a bit worried that we might be lost. He chuckles softly, reassuring me, "No worries, Bhavya. We're almost there." Though still uncertain, I nod and lean back in my seat, observing the passing trees through the window.

After some time, the car comes to a stop in a clearing. Ratan steps out first, offering me his hand to help me out of the car. I take it gratefully, stepping out to survey our surroundings. Tents dot the site, concealing whatever lies within. Ratan's hand touches my shoulder, prompting me to look at him. "Let's go, they're waiting for us," he says, leading the way towards a tent ahead. I quickly follow him inside.

Upon entering the tent, my eyes scan the interior, taking in the relics arranged on the table in the center. Old maps and torn photographs lie scattered amidst them. To the right, a shelf holds ancient-looking books, while the left side is stocked with drones, restoration chemicals, and various other equipment. Another entrance catches my attention, and soon, a woman enters through it, carrying a rusted, mud-covered box. Placing it on the table, she notices our presence and pauses, awaiting our approach.

As her eyes meet mine, she beams with excitement and rushes over, grasping my hands in hers. "Oh my, are you Bhavya? It's wonderful to see you again. We've been anticipating your arrival for quite some time. You're even more stunning in person than in those old photos," she exclaims, her voice filled with enthusiasm. Her sudden burst of energy makes me feel a bit uneasy, especially when I notice Ratan's brief change in expression.

Was she really waiting for me for so long? Why did she act like we've met before when we clearly haven't? And what old photos is she talking about? Even my grandparents don't have any old photos of me, so where did she find them? And why did Ratan react that way?

"Hello, umm..." I start, but I realize I don't know her name. "Oh, how rude of me. I didn't even introduce myself. I'm Sofia," she says, pulling me into a tight hug. "Hello Sofia. Nice to meet you too," I reply, feeling a bit awkward as I pat her back. "Bhavya, Sofia is a historian. She's an expert in her field and has been working with me for 2 years," Ratan explains. I nod and glance at Sofia, who is smiling brightly. "You both will make a good team, as you and Sofia are the only women in our team," Ratan adds. Sofia nods eagerly and stands beside me, linking our hands together, which makes me chuckle. She's cute, like a puppy.

"Now, ladies, shall we go and meet the rest of the team?" Ratan asks. We both nod, and together we follow him out of the tent.

"You'll love the site Bhavya. It's beautiful," Sofia rambles as we make our way out of the tent. As soon as we step outside, I'm blown away by the sight in front of me. Wow! I'm surprised this stepwell is still intact even after all these years! How did Ratan even find this?! It's amazing how it's still standing strong for so long. But why do I feel like I've seen this stepwell before somewhere?