~Part 14: Choice~

[Abigail's POV]

It was already night time and I was taking a hot bath after a long day. What happened earlier was not something to joke about, especially since both of our lives were at stake.

Good thing there were no people around when that conflict occurred. Otherwise, a possibility of killing those innocent is high.

But...

It won't take long when the real battle happens. Tomorrow's the special event and I'm certain that it won't be peaceful during the ceremony. The worst part here is that, the enemies were now inside but we couldn't locate them, There was someone, powerful enough to hide their identities from the authorities that even I couldn't get my hands on it easily.

Not to mention that... Duke Alphonse, my father talked to me after I got back. We discussed some matters that needed to be attended.

"What are you doing here?" I uttered as my hand played with the water, not even glancing at that person who entered the room secretly and without any permission.

"Am I not allowed to see My Lady?" He spoke and walked slowly towards the bathtub where I just stayed silent. Good thing the bubbles were covering the water underneath.

"I'm not in the mood for your jokes, Edward" I sighed as I started massaging my temples.

"Just because My brother is with you all day long, you'll just push me away like that?" A hint of anger in his voice as he spoke.

Why do I have to deal with this now?

"I sent you a letter this evening and yet you didn't even bother reading it" He spoke again and sat on the edge of the tub while I just ignored him.

"I'm sorry, I just... I just had a lot in my mind right now" I took a deep breath and gently eased myself into the bathtub, slowly lowering my body in it where the water had reached above my shoulder.

I felt my wound sting a little but I didn't mind it, besides, the water in this tub contains herbal essence. It'll help the wound from healing faster.

"After what happened earlier, it's understandable for you to overthink the situation" I heard Edward sigh as he then stood up and kissed me in the forehead before facing the opposite side of where I was.

"I wanted to tell you something and... You won't be happy about it" He stopped and took a deep breath, still facing in the opposite direction.

There's a hint of sadness in his voice as he said those words.

"Father... had signed the contract. Mara and I-"

"I know..." I cut him off as I slowly got up off the tub and grabbed my robe, covering my body with it before leaving.

"You... Knew?" His eyes widened in disbelief as he turned around and faced me.

"It was expected, Edward... Whether you like it or not, the two of you are destined to be with each other" I exclaimed and walked towards him, looking straight into his eyes.

"Why are you-"

"That's why... I wanted to end things here" I spoke and faced him completely, not letting my emotions fall into thee "I wanted our relationship to stop here, there's no point in fighting" I even added, not letting him finish his own sentence.

I expected him to understand yet his next action shocked me.

His breath hitched as he then grabbed me by the shoulder and harshly then pinned me into the wall.

"Is it because of Philip?! Is it because you love him more than you love me now?"

I hissed when I felt his grip getting tighter as I held into his arm, hoping to calm him a little. At this moment, I don't want to fight him, I don't want to hurt him.