Growing Close pt. 3

"WORTHLESS!"

Zuko felt his head whip back as his father smacked him across the face.

Dammit, I didn't think he'd notice.

Zuko had been trying to loosen up as Uncle told him to do. He knew it would be risky, but in the Oasis he was able to bend better than he ever could outside of it. He felt a style of bending that flowed as well as his swordsmanship did. It was fluid and graceful.

I can be strong if I can get to that level when I'm awake. I thought I'd be able to try it here, but that was a mistake.

His father looked at him with the same eyes of disgust he always held, spitting one last, 'Pathetic' before he left, leaving Azula and Zuko alone.

Azula looked at her brother with slanted eyes. Father may have seen weakness in Zuzu's bending but Azula knew differently.

It wasn't weak, it was different. It was like he was using his swords. Is he trying to switch bending styles?

The idea was absurd. Sozin Style was the national style of the Fire Nation. It was a style that Azula had already perfected. It was a style that would lead the Fire Nation to victory in the war.

I know he's training with Uncle Fatso but surely Uncle isn't telling him to change styles. Even if Zuko might be better at it father won't see it that way.

She took one last look at her pathetic brother, who never could hold a candle to her and was an embarrassment to the family.

She thought back to how father hit him worse today than he usually does.

She sneered, "Quit being an idiot Zuzu. I don't care what Uncle Fatso is trying to teach you, it isn't going to work. Just go back to how you were bending before."

You're only making father angrier

Zuko looked at his sister, clicking his tongue, "What do you care."

Azula's nails dug into her palm, "Fine. Be that way. Next time I'll make sure you land on your face so father doesn't have to bother."

Zuko watched his sister leave the training arena, fists clenched as she left.

He touched his cheek and already felt the signs of swelling.

Shit. It's gonna bruise. He usually doesn't like targeting my face, guess I pissed him off this time.

Zuko sighed, knowing that he wouldn't be able to heal this wound just like all the other ones.

I'll have to tell uncle that I can't practice that style anymore, at least not during daily sparring. Azula was right, it makes father too angry.

He got up, exhausted after his day of training like he usually was.

I can't wait to go to sleep. I haven't felt this tired in a while. Maybe Yue will let me skip sparring today.

He walked to his room and froze, eyes widening in realization.

Shit, Yue.

..........

Zuko's taking a while.

Yue was in the oasis, feeding the fish and turtle ducks. Waiting for Zuko to show up like every night.

He usually is here quicker. I know he says he spends most of the day training in the palace but it shouldn't go on that long, should it?

Yue knew that Zuko had busy days.

He was always here after her and always woke up before she did. She knew that the nighttime at the North Pole was longer than in the Fire Nation, but Zuko still got too little sleep in her opinion.