Journey pt. 2

Katara wasn't sure what to make of Zuko.

He was a Firebender, a vicious monster that burned down villages and tried to enslave the world.

But here he was petting Appa and feeding him way too much food.

Is he trying to make Appa fat so we can't fly him?

But she also knew that wasn't the case because he did the same thing with Momo. Momo, for as much as she loved him, was not essential for traveling.

So now she knew that Zuko was just an animal lover, which was strange.

He's a Firebender, how is he just... petting Appa.

It was so odd to see a Firebender not fighting them, much less being a big softie for animals.

Katara knew her brother was having the same dilemma that she was because he dropped his food and was now blatantly staring at the scene in front of them.

Zuko seemed to notice the stares pointed at him and stopped petting Appa.

Zuko huffed as he ate his food, "What? I like animals, sue me."

Aang perked up as Katara and Sokka collectively stopped functioning.

"I like animals too. Appa is the best out of all of them though. Ah!"

Aang rubbed his ear as Momo nipped him.

"You too Momo, you and Appa are the best. No contest."

Aang sighed as Momo huffed and went to sit on Zuko's shoulders instead of his.

Zuko chuckled and finished his food, getting up to clean it.

Katara watched him with narrowed eyes, "What are you doing?"

Zuko looked back at her, a little caught off by her suspicions.

"Uh, washing my plate. Am I not supposed to? I can make dinner next time if you want to switch the chores?"

Katara looked at Zuko, the Firebender who had just become her best friend in the universe.

"You'll cook dinner tomorrow?"

Zuko rubbed his neck, unsure why he was being questioned for something obvious.

"Uh yeah."

Sokka watched in astonishment as Katara got up and told Zuko all of the ingredients they had on hand for dinner tomorrow.

What is she doing? He might poison it.

Sokka sputtered, trying to make sure he didn't choke on his food from his surprise.

"What are you doing Katara? How can you trust him to make food? Have you forgotten he might be trying to capture Aang?"

Sokka felt absolute betrayal as Katara waved her hand dismissively.

Katara scoffed, "It'll be fine. We already said we'd let him travel with us. And unless you want to start cooking I think I'm going to let our new friend cook dinner tomorrow. Is that good with you Zuko?"

Zuko nodded, happy that he seemed to have convinced one of the Water Tribe siblings he wasn't trying to kill them.

Sokka watched as Katara and Zuko started talking about ingredients they could get in the next town, and shared the recipes of dishes they knew how to make.

I can't believe it. She water-whipped him in the chest yesterday and now she's acting like he's her best friend.

Sokka huffed and got his map to plot the course to the next town.