Growing close

After talking to his Uncle he decided to tell Yue about him being a Firebender.

He was a little nervous about how she would react, but since meeting her he had learned a lot about Yue.

He knew she loved the animals in the Oasis, it was hard to get her attention from the turtle ducks sometimes. She loved simple things like feeling the grass on her feet and smelling the flower lilies. She liked something called seal jerky and she loved her bending.

He learned a lot about her and that's why he was willing to tell her about his bending.

Even though he now knew that most of the world hated Firebenders because of his Uncle's stories, he also knew that not all of them did. Uncle even said he became friends with a Waterbender while traveling.

He may have only recently started to know Yue but he thought she wasn't the type to hate him for his bending. She loved her bending too much to do
that.

He was a little stumped on how to bring it up though. As far as Yue was concerned he wasn't a bender. Suddenly Firebending in front of her made him feel a little guilty.

He went to sleep pondering how to tell her and opened his eyes to an empty Oasis.

..........

Yue was so tired.

So very tired.

She had spent the day stuck in lessons and avoiding Hahn, who was getting strangely insistent on trying to talk to her. She asked Tekka about it and he just shrugged and said it was a Hahn thing.

Yeah right. Being an idiot is a Hahn thing. I wish he would just leave me alone and do his Hahn thing somewhere else.

She sighed and got ready for bed. She didn't know how long she had been in her healing lesson, but she knew she was falling asleep a few hours later than she normally did.

I wonder if Zuko would be there first. He sleeps later than me most days but maybe he beat me this time.

She fell asleep and was greeted with a stunning golden light when she opened her eyes.

..........

Zuko took to practicing his bending when Yue didn't show up after a while.

He figured she would be falling asleep later than usual and he wanted to practice his bending. He hadn't tried it in the dream Oasis, he wanted to see if it felt different than in real life.

He was glad to say it didn't.

Bending in the Oasis felt exactly like when he did it in the Palace.

He enjoyed his time practicing without having to worry about surpassing his sister or appeasing his father.

He got his Uncle to agree to teach him Firebending after lessons and the first thing he told him to focus on was loosening up. He wasn't able to do it when they practiced in the palace. The movements his father forced him to learn were ingrained in his muscle memory.

But in the Oasis he felt more relaxed.

The Oasis was calming and reminded him of his mother's garden. He was able to practice without worry or judgment.

So he chose a place far away from the pond and practiced his bending. He didn't bother to follow the routine his father usually set for him. He practiced like he was using his swords, and the flames he created were flowing as if they were alive.

This feels amazing

He was free to practice his bending how he wanted, without having to worry about his father breathing down his neck or his sister mocking his failures. He could just lose himself as he shot flame after flame, connecting the movements in a way he couldn't do in the palace.