Chapter Thirteen - Visions

Xavier's jaw drops, "Are you sure? Visions can't always be accurate."

Wednesday glared at him, "I'm sure Xavier."

"But they have no motive!" He calls chasing after her as she takes off down the hall.

She ignores him continuing on to his room. "I saw them."

He shakes his head, "please listen to me, visions cant always be trusted Wednesday. They only show part of the picture."

They stop in front of the dorm door, both of them growing increasingly frustrated with the other.

"Give me a few hours Xavier, I promise you I'll find a motive. You go to your next class and then come back here after."

He sighs, "please don't do anything stupid Wednesday. I need you to be safe."

She narrows her eyes. "Two hours. I'm sure about this one. I know what I saw."

Xavier simply pulled her in for a hug, "can I clean up your forehead first?" He asks, trailing his fingertips around her cut and then resting them on her cheek.

Wednesday shakes her head, "you'd be late for your class. Go Xavier." He doesn't move so after a moment she adds, "please."

He opens his mouth to argue but when he sees the expression on Wednesdays face he knows there's no point. "I'll be back here in two hours. Wait for me okay?"

She pushes open the door to the room, "I'll wait."

Xavier's expression is full of doubt as he walks away, Wednesday almost feels bad for shutting him out but he'd only be a hinderance.

Being around him make her head spin, he made it hard to focus on anything other than him.

However, even though he wasn't there his voice echoed in her head, repeatedly reminding her "visions aren't accurate." Some part of her agreed, saying it had been very vague but she shoved that part to a deep corner and pushed on.

She soon found out her confusion came from the fact she didn't really know them that well, or at all.

She couldn't comprehend why they had it out for her. Perhaps it was because she'd called out Kent's idiocy that day with the nightshades? That hadn't truly been her fault though, the boy was an imbecile.

As she sits there, getting absolutely nowhere her phone dings with a message. She reaches for it immediately, subconsciously wishing it's Xavier.

Perhaps it's him ignoring her wishes and returning to come sit with her. Maybe she'd let him clean her cut or maybe she'd listen to his ideas this time.

However, it's not Xavier or her even stalker, it's an unknown number.

"Wednesday?" The text reads. No other information. Just her name.

She frowns, she didn't give anyone else her number and she found it hard to believe Xavier would.

"Who is this." Wednesday texts back immediately, an awful feeling forming in her stomach.

The little text bubble she hates so passionately pops up for what feels like forever before the text finally sends.

"Ajax."

What was Ajax doing messaging her and why would Enid give him her number? Enid was well aware of how passionately Wednesday hated technology.

"This better be important or you're next on my hit list." Perhaps Enid put him up to this.

The stupid text bubble again and then, "it's important, it's about your stalker."

Somethings not right. Wednesday can feel that. "How do you know about that."

"Enid told me."

Not necessarily unbelievable, Wednesday was pretty sure Enid told him everything. Plus he knows Divina and Kent much better than she does, he could be of use.

Arguably he even knows them better than Xavier does, which is why she sends, "okay, what do you want from me."

The text bubble seems to last for eternity again, was it truly that hard for Ajax to send a simple message? "Meet me by eugene's bees." He finally responds.

She knows it's not smart, not at all, and she knows she told Xavier she'd wait but still when a mystery calls she must go.

Promising herself she would be back by the two hour mark, Wednesday writes a note to Xavier saying she was meeting with Ajax then she grabs her jacket and heads out the door.

It's freezing out, the wind whips against her cheek, feeling like a million sharp knifes. It's still raining and the fog is still heavy. Normally she'd find it alluring but right now it's an inconvenience as she can only see a few feet in front of her.

"Ajax?" She calls out, her voice quiet due to the wind. She gets only silence in return. "This isn't funny I have important things to be doing."

There's a crack of a branch stepping and she turns around only to find nothing. "Ajax, I'm going to leave if you don't come out right now." She's truly starting to regret leaving Xavier's dorm.

Wednesday begins shivering as the silence drags on for minutes. With no sign of Ajax anywhere she turns to leave, only then does she hear something snap again behind her.

Now she's beginning to regret leaving alone, maybe Xavier had been right for once.

When she spins around she sees nothing again, perhaps this was some disgustingly irritating prank Enid and Ajax were pulling on her.

Wednesday tries to call out one more time but when she gets no response she informs them their prank was about as dull as her fathers Operas.

She finally  gives up and turns to leave. They were so going to pay for this absurd prank of theirs. Not only was she cold, irritated and confused but she was going to run late on the two hour mark she'd set with Xavier.

Wednesday didn't wish to break her word after everything she'd worked so hard to repair with him.

She hears another snap behind her but before she can even turn and locate where it's coming from, there's a sharp pain on the back on her head and the world fades to black.