043

They get their food around the half hour mark, and Dahlia's just thankful to finally have a valid excuse to not be talking to Jenna. She's completely torn on whether she should close herself off and try not to get hurt, or forget all of the bad things and just enjoy her last real day with her. But it's hard to forget.

"You know, I actually thought I was imagining you ignoring me for a while because you were in such a good mood earlier when we were shopping," Jenna sighs, setting her fork down on her plate. "Seriously, Dahlia, what the hell?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm not ignoring you," Dahlia shakes her head, taking another gulp of her drink, feeling it warm in her stomach.

Jenna hesitates for a second, before laughing and shaking her head. "Yeah? Then why can't you even look at me right now, huh?"

Dahlia takes in a breath and finally turns to look at her, gulping. "Sorry, I just...I don't know. I was just thinking about how I sort of don't want to have to go back home to reality."

It's not a full lie this time, at least.

"Yeah," she nods and looks down at the table, her shoulders relaxing. "Me neither. I know my family's awful and everything, but...it was nice to get away from the stress of school for a while I guess."

"I just keep thinking about that bungalow, and that beach, and this whole week, really," Dahlia sighs, before pushing her finished plate to the middle of the table. "It's annoying to be reminiscing about something that isn't even fully over yet."

"Agreed," Jenna sighs, grabbing the bottle of rosé and filling her empty glass up. Then Dahlia holds her glass out to her, and Jenna grins before filling her's too.

"A toast to our last real night of spring break," Jenna holds her glass up, and Dahlia smiles as she clinks her's with her. Then they both take a drink.

"I'm so glad I came on this trip," Dahlia gulps and looks at her, setting her glass down. Even though she knows she's only saying this because she's tipsy and she'll probably regret it later, it still feels right in the moment. "I know I gave you a hard time about it at first and everything, but I really had fun."

"Not to be disgustingly gross, but...I guess I don't hate you as much anymore," Jenna smiles at her, and Dahlia shakes her head and laughs, nudging her leg with her under the table. "Only because you saved my life by coming, though. Not because I like your annoying ass personality or anything."

"Sure, Jenna, keep telling yourself that," she laughs, and she rolls her eyes and takes another drink.

"Thanks though," Jenna forces out in a low mutter, looking down at the table and picking at a napkin. "Not only for coming here, but also for...I don't know. No one's ever stood up for me like that before. And there's definitely no one that's ever pushed my mom into the pacific before, either."

They both laugh, before she awkwardly clears her throat and says: "It was nice or whatever. So thanks."

"You shouldn't be thanking me," Dahlia laughs and feels a lump in her throat, tracing her finger along the rim of her glass nervously. "I was just doing what everyone aroundshould have been doing."

"Yeah, but they didn't," Jenna replies quietly, and she looks up at her. "You did, though."

They look at each other, and the light from the candle is illuminating her face, and she has that small smile she always gets when she's drinking. The smile that she's seen countless times this trip.

"Which means," Jenna laughs, sitting back and completely ruining the moment like she always does. "You should accept my thank you's. And that's why I'm letting you pick out anything you want from the dessert menu. It's on me."