21. midnight rain

RAIN pelted the windowpane, making her stir, making her groan in discontent

RAIN pelted the windowpane, making her stir, making her groan in discontent. Her fingers clawed at her face, trying to cover her eyes and ears from the torrent that was making her head pound. Why did she feel so hazy? It was like she couldn't control her body as she tried to sit up, tried to open her eyes to see her surroundings. Panic. Her chest was tight as her eyes blinked ferociously as her tried to feel where she was. A soft blanket was on top of her, mattress below her.

Her world felt disoriented as she finally got the strength to push herself up, to be met with walls of a familiar hospital room. Yet the air felt unfamiliar, the scenery unlike the ones of Yggdrasil as she forced herself out of the bed. Chihiro was freezing, her body trembled as if she'd shatter from the slightest touch. It felt as if she got hit by a horse head on, then thrown off a building. Not only did her body ache, but her mind screamed as if she needed to sleep for days.

Chihiro rubbed her eyes as she stood in linen pajamas on the tiled floor.

For seconds she struggled to identity if this was Yggdrasil or Konoha- like mind tricks were being played on her- that switching realities had its tolls. Tolls in which it felt as if weights stacked upon her weak body, sagging shoulders as her legs trembled.

The sound of a creaking door made her spin, stumbling in place as her eyes struggled to focus. A tall figure loomed in the doorway as she adjusted.

Was that a ghost in front of her? The way the white cloudiness of her vision began to wash away as she blinked furiously, hand rushing to rub the sleepiness away. The figure- He looked familiar, looked like the boy who owned her heart, from his chiseled features and long hair, toned body through his training garbs. Chihiro was stuck in place as her pupils dilated,

"Neji?" she squeaked out with a hoarse tone.

His eyes were then wide as saucers, mouth agape as he stood in the doorway, looking her over in disbelief. How long had he been there? Did he just walk through the door? Had she been too blind to see him previously?

Chihiro wobbled as she tried to walk over to him, "hey-"

"Chihiro, careful!" Neji reacted, rushing forward.

He grabbed her and it set them aflame, wildfire of emotions tingling up their spines as a gasp escaped her lips. Neji pulled her into his chest and it made her knees go weak.

Chihiro felt shock melt into comfort as she hugged him back, eyes closing as she rested her head letting the sound of his racing heartbeat bring her to peace. She let herself bask for a few seconds, that this was real, this was happening. Neither could find the words. Chihiro was content at the physicality between the two as his hands burned into her sides where they steadily held her.