19. the truth*

10 DAYS LATER

10 DAYS LATER

CHIHIRO'S feet were heavy as she marched down the corridors of her school, passing eclectic statues and paintings alike. She'd avoided meeting with those who ran Eva Academy. She avoided even leaving her room for more than a few minutes to visit other dorms. So as her footsteps echoed under the setting sun seeping through the windows, she felt tension rise in her chest. Pangs of emotion were bursting inside her as a dull ache was in her core, worry in the back of her mind. Chihiro wasn't ready to talk about her time in Konoha- to talk about the grief she felt in separation from those she met.

It seemed to be a vicious cycle for her. Mourn Yggdrasil while in Konoha- but then mourn Konoha when in Yggdrasil. She hated it.

She was understandably nervous as she approached a fancy, mahogany door with lion statues parked outside. The Director's. That morning she received a letter to come and see him.

His office was large, with palladian windows letting light stream in from behind where the desk sat. Statues and accolades were finely spread out, not a speck of dust. Director Clive had hair as white as snow, a royal purple suit as he stood with sat in his swivel chair. Professor Melany Lee stood besides him, closer to a dresser with a pot atop. They'd been waiting for her.

"Miss Sato, how are you?"

"I'm okay," she answered apprehensively, slowly making her way closer to the desk.

"I'm glad you're doing well," Director Clive said with a smile, "we've all been very worried. I had Kasumi visiting non-stop to know any progress we made on what was going on."

"That doesn't surprise me." Chihiro nodded, "she's barely left my side, I have to force her to go to class."

"Come sit," he smiled, his wrinkles showing.

Chihiro obliged, sitting in one of the ancient leather seats that was across from the great oak desk. She sank into the fabric as she shuffled to her comfy under their intense gazes.

"Why don't you just tell us everything," Professor Lee said softly, "would make it easier for us to understand. We tried to wait awhile before meeting with you."

"Sure," she sighed. Taking a deep breath, she did her best to start at the very beginning, and not leave anything out.

Chihiro felt vulnerable explaining everything to Professor Lee and Director Clive. She felt emotional explaining the attacks, and the attempted suicide. The way their faces morphed into sadness, pity clear as day shining in their eyes. Pity. It was all she'd felt since arriving back to school, like everyone knew something she didn't. It was a horrific feeling for her- hated being ogled at like the next big thing. The talk of town. And being the center of everyone's attention was never what Chihiro wanted.

What she did find interesting though, was how the adults reacted to the information she gathered from Akira- the Yggdrasil obsessed man in Konoha. The way their faces morphed into shock which they immediately tried to cover.