12. pretty in pink

ONE month and two weeks

ONE month and two weeks. It was forty-five days of uncertainty and desperation, mixed with moments of joy and belonging. Confusion- it summed Chihiro up perfectly. If she'd come to Konoha in any other way, freely able to go home whenever, she'd love every second. It was an unfortunate way to come to a new land and meet new people. It was unfortunate that Konoha was where a boy made her heart skip a beat, skin burn with anticipation.

And it was unfortunate that she found herself in Konoha's karaoke bar with a happiness-drunk smile on her face. She was laughing, yelling with everyone else in joy as Naruto stood up on stage.

Loud music was blaring in the bar as Naruto yelled into the mic, almost louder than the tunes he sang. It was dim in the joint, with neutral lights in the corner. There were speckled lights pointed at the stage to dance across whoever was up there. Leafy green plants and strange knick-knacks were scattered everywhere, unique paintings all over the wall. Pictures of former patrons were tacked on behind the bar from a former competition. The floors were fairly sticky as waitresses went around passing out drinks, other drunk onlookers spilling about. Tables were packed with boisterous groups of chunin and civilians alike. When Sakura told Chihiro of their plans hours ago, she wanted to take advantage of it. Chihiro was excited to be able to forget about her stresses and have fun.

Chihiro looked pretty in a short pink dress lent to her. It hugged at her waist as it cut low at her chest, cleavage popping out. If it weren't for her safety shorts she'd be too nervous to do any sort of moving about. And she was almost the most conservatively dressed one there. At Eva Academy kids would sneak in drinks all the time, she'd been drunk on a few occasions with Hana and Kasumi. But Chihiro was not knowledge with alcohol and being with people older than her definitely made her nervous.

She hasn't stopped smiling all night as soon as everyone arrived. Naruto introduced her to Hinata. She met a few other shinobis named Shino, Lee, and Choji. And she couldn't stop smiling when Kiba walked in through the door with Akamaru, which apparently nin-dogs were allowed. The large fluffy dog had taken quite a liking to her, electing to sit at her feet compared to his 'owner.'

"Chi! Take this," Ino had a grossed out look on her face as she shook her head, shoving a tiny glass towards her.

Chihiro didn't know if she enjoyed drinking or hated it. She knew why people drank- to have fun or to forget. For her in the moment it may have been a little of both, but with a lopsided grin she took the shot glass to her lips. The second the cruel liquid hit her tongue and went down her throat, her body shook involuntarily, "eck!" she immediately went to take a large gulp of her mixed drink she'd been sipping on.

Kiba and Ino laughed at her reaction, simply saying they would get another one for her later. Better tasting, she hoped.

Her eyes would scan the room constantly. At first she didn't understand why she felt so 'out of it' as she'd keep checking the front door, feeling bored in conversations. Until looking at everyone who sat around the circular booth, realizing Neji was missing. The older boy with the prettiest eyes, perfect hair, sculpted serous face. He was refined, strong, kind- made her feel comfortable but he wasn't there. It disappointed her but, he wasn't obligated to inform her of his whereabouts.