16. coming to terms

DRIPPING in sweat, muscles aching, bruises forming as he huffed, hands on his knees as perspiration dripped from his forehead

DRIPPING in sweat, muscles aching, bruises forming as he huffed, hands on his knees as perspiration dripped from his forehead. He let out of a deep breath as he sheathed his kunai, letting his guard down. His eyes glanced across to his sparring partner, Lee who was adjusting his bandages. They'd been training since that morning, exhausted from hand to hand combat, chakra absolutely drained. Lee had begged him to spend the day together, that they both could use a day of pure 'heart filled' training. Or so he called it.

Neji knew they hadn't seen each other much lately, there were plenty of things they needed to catch up on. But Neji wasn't prepared to answer his questions,

"How have you been? Really," Lee asked as he approached him. The two planned on going and grabbing a bite to eat,

"Busy, I guess."

"Not with jobs though. You've only taken two the last two months. It's unlike you."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I know you're picky but not that picky about what you take..." Lee was thinking aloud, trying to purposefully push the conversation in a certain direction.

"Lee..."

"And even Guy said you've been acting strange-"

"Where is this going?" Neji groaned, as he readjusted his hair. He redid his pony tail on his tangled hair, making it higher than normal as the fronts fell free to frame his face.

"I think you know Neji! And you can tell me anything, don't feel ashamed." his eyes were intense as his hands formed fists.

"I- am so lost."

"Chihiro!" Lee yelled. "my rival, best friend, is in love!"

"I... Where'd you hear this from?" Neji was bright red, heart beginning to race. Had anyone confronted him about her like that? It was only Neji internally fighting with himself about his feelings.

"You know Neji, from what I see it appears you're courting her. I saw how you two interacted that night at karaoke. I've heard people talk about all sorts of things with you two! And ever since she arrived, you've been acting strange."

"I-I'm not," he countered back.

"You hesitated."

"I did no such thing," Neji spat back.

"Look, you don't need to take my advice but at least listen! Man up Neji." Lee said with passion behind his eyes as he grasped Neji's shoulders, "if you care for someone you need to tell them! Don't waste any precious time you have. Because I've never seen you like this before and I don't want you to regret anything. Think long and hard about this."

Neji stared at him in shock, unsure of what to say. He hadn't expected Lee to confront him on Chihiro when he didn't understand it himself. He was someone who didn't share his emotions like that, he'd never tell Lee about a crush, "um, I appreciate the advice-"